‘Unfit’ Nadal out of season-opening Abu Dhabi event
Rafa Nadal has withdrawn from next week’s season-opening exhibition event in Abu Dhabi due to ongoing fitness problems, the world number one has said.
The 16-time grand slam champion, who won the French and U.S. Opens earlier this year, withdrew from the ATP Finals in November after struggling with a knee injury during his round-robin defeat by Belgian David Goffin.
The 31-year-old Spaniard, who has previously played at the tournament on eight occasions, will be replaced by compatriot Roberto Bautista Agut.
“It was a tough 2017 and I need to take my calendar in a different way in order to be ready,” Nadal told the Mubadala World Tennis Championships website.
“For this reason, I have sadly announced to the organizers and now to you fans that I won’t play this time in Abu Dhabi.”
Stan Wawrinka and Milos Raonic have also withdrawn from the tournament, which is held from Dec. 28-30.
The Australian Open, the first major of the new season, begins on Jan. 15.
- England beat Tunisia 2-1 in World Cup group gameWorld Cup 2018 10 hours ago
- Basketball: Kenyan national junior teams off to Zone Five qualifersBasketball 9 hours ago
- South Africa-based Nduva wins Kenya Amateur Match play ChampionshipGolf 15 hours ago
- Kiprono survives early scare in Karen Masters qualifiersGolf 1 day ago
- Croatian striker sent home for ‘refusing to play’ in Nigeria winWorld Cup 2018 19 hours ago
- Eagle-eyed viewers spot the brilliant thing Southgate said just before Kane's first goal vs TunisiaWorld Cup 2018 1 hour ago
- Belgium beat Panama 3-0 in World CupWorld Cup 2018 13 hours ago