Irate viewers called the police after Mo Farah shockingly won sports award
Farah was a surprise victor with Anthony Joshua as short as 1/10 with some bookmakers before the ceremony in Liverpool.
And viewers were so angry some even called the police to complain about the result, with the Cheshire force taking to Twitter to tell people not to pick up the phone.
"Calling 101 to complain that the person you voted for to win the Sports Personality of the Year Award is not an appropriate use of the service and a waste of 15p," they tweeted.
"Please think carefully before phoning us."
Farah led a shock top three with Superbike champ Jonathan Rea second and para-athlete Jonnie Peacock third.
As such Joshua, who this year moved to 20-0 in the ring, all by knockout - including his war with Wladimir Klitschko in front of 90,000 at Wembley, didn’t even make the top three.
In SPOTY betting on Betfair's betting exchange an hour before the victor was announced, some 88 percent of all matched money was on Joshua to take the award.
“I’m shocked," said Farah. "I never thought I would win. I didn't prepare any speech.”
- France vs Croatia lineups as Fans arrive ahead of World Cup Final World Cup 2018 13 hours ago
- World Cup focus now turns to QatarWorld Cup 2018 5 hours ago
- France beat Croatia to win 2018 Fifa World Cup in MoscowWorld Cup 2018 10 hours ago
- Kenya tops medal table on the final day of World Athletics Under-20 ChampionshipsAthletics 5 hours ago
- Messi’s wife jets in to offer support as marriage crisis loomsWorld Cup 2018 2 weeks ago
- Buyan the bear predicts Croatia will beat France in World Cup finalWorld Cup 2018 12 hours ago
- Modric blasts English media after Croatia win over EnglandWorld Cup 2018 3 days ago