Cecafa rude welcome for Hey on return to Kenya as Rwanda lose two ties
When Kenya was given the 2017 Cecafa Senior Challenge Cup hosting rights, Rwanda coach Antoine Hey thought that’s a perfect opportunity for him to prove a point against his former employer. Having brie?y coached Harambee Stars in 2009, the German, now with the 2018 African Nations Championship (Chan) bound-Amavubi, was keen to show Kenyans what they are missing.
But going by Rwanda’s results in their ?rst two Group B opening matches where they lost to Kenya (2-0) and Zanzibar (3-1), Hey’s hopes of even reaching the knock out stage look like a pipe dream. And even as Rwanda prepares to take on invitational side Libya at 4pm in Machakos today in a match that will be preceded by an early encounter between Zanzibar and Tanzania, Hey insists his aim was to use the tournament as part of their preparation for next year’s continental showpiece in Morocco.
“First of all, I would like to congratulate Zanzibar for the win. They have complicated everything for us. But it was a good test and learning experience for our players. “We are here for a learning process, getting the players ready for Chan and see what options we have in the future,” said Hey after the 3-1 defeat to Zanzibar on Tuesday.
Today’s Cecafa Fixtures Tanzania v Zanzibar Machakos (2pm) Rwanda v Libya Machakos (4pm) “Of course this is not the type of performance I expected on my return to Kenya. It is not good to lose but, it is more important for me to give young players a chance to learn. “We don’t to go to Morocco, play in front of the whole continent and be kicked out of the tournament in the group stages. My responsibility is to build options for the players we have and give them a chance.” He was, however, gracious in conceding that his team is far from being ready for Chan.
- Namibia coach wary of Simbas threat in Cup tieRugby 16 hours ago
- De Bruyne to miss three months with knee injuryFootball 1 hour ago
- Ujuzisoka land in SpainFootball 16 hours ago
- Cavalry Cup set to light up Manyatta Polo Club in GilgilSports 15 hours ago
- Ashley and Njenga win in Karen tourney for juniorsGolf 1 day ago
- How Bett’s talent was tapped while in schoolAthletics 6 days ago
- Hail Kenya’s shooting stars: Local sharpshooters post superb display in South AfricaSports 16 hours ago