Cecafa rude welcome for Hey on return to Kenya as Rwanda lose two ties
When Kenya was given the 2017 Cecafa Senior Challenge Cup hosting rights, Rwanda coach Antoine Hey thought that’s a perfect opportunity for him to prove a point against his former employer. Having brie?y coached Harambee Stars in 2009, the German, now with the 2018 African Nations Championship (Chan) bound-Amavubi, was keen to show Kenyans what they are missing.
But going by Rwanda’s results in their ?rst two Group B opening matches where they lost to Kenya (2-0) and Zanzibar (3-1), Hey’s hopes of even reaching the knock out stage look like a pipe dream. And even as Rwanda prepares to take on invitational side Libya at 4pm in Machakos today in a match that will be preceded by an early encounter between Zanzibar and Tanzania, Hey insists his aim was to use the tournament as part of their preparation for next year’s continental showpiece in Morocco.
“First of all, I would like to congratulate Zanzibar for the win. They have complicated everything for us. But it was a good test and learning experience for our players. “We are here for a learning process, getting the players ready for Chan and see what options we have in the future,” said Hey after the 3-1 defeat to Zanzibar on Tuesday.
Today’s Cecafa Fixtures Tanzania v Zanzibar Machakos (2pm) Rwanda v Libya Machakos (4pm) “Of course this is not the type of performance I expected on my return to Kenya. It is not good to lose but, it is more important for me to give young players a chance to learn. “We don’t to go to Morocco, play in front of the whole continent and be kicked out of the tournament in the group stages. My responsibility is to build options for the players we have and give them a chance.” He was, however, gracious in conceding that his team is far from being ready for Chan.
- Liverpool fans stranded ahead of Champions League finalFootball 18 hours ago
- Soccer officials ferry slay queens and girlfriends on foreign tripGossip & Rumours 1 day ago
- Liverpool out to topple RealFootball 13 hours ago
- Ulinzi in bid to gun down rivals to reclaim title Football 13 hours ago
- What Beckham asked Zidane to do ahead of Champions League finalFootball 19 hours ago
- Injured defender confident of playing at World CupFootball 13 hours ago
- Mane paints hometown red by donating 300 Liverpool shirtsFootball 22 hours ago