Slow but sure Saikwa wins Uhuru Shield
Slow but sure Saikwa rules at Royal as Nyali prepares to host final Amateur championships.
Dennis Saikwa made good use of his home course in posting 218 gross to emerge the overall winner of the 2017 Uhuru Shield golf tournament at the par 72 Royal Nairobi course on Saturday.
The golfer, who started with a disastrous score of six over par 78 gross in the first round on Friday, improved in the second round with a two over par 74 gross before rounding up the final round with a six under par 66 gross score.
“My putting was bad in the first round and I had to work on it very fast, which was important in assuring me with the victory,” said Saikwa.
Limuru’s handicap 1 John Karichu was runner-up with 225 gross.
Limuru’s J. Kariku, on a count-back score of 73 gross, won the first 18 holes after tying with Royal’s jay Sandhu.
Vet Lab’s Mike Kisia, on 76 gross, was the second 18 holes gross winner, while his club mate Edwin Mudanyi, on 73 gross, was third.
South African-based Nyali golfer Mathew Wahome won the overall nett on 228, while Golf Park’s Raphael Leming’ani, on 229 nett, was the runner-up after tying on a two-way countback score with Royal’s Peter Musila and Railway’s George Felix.
This was the second last of the 18th Series of the national 2017 golfer of the year tournaments that are being organised by the Kenya golf Union (KGU).
The final three-day event will be held at the par 72 Nyali golf and Country course in Mombasa from Friday.
The event, which is jointly sponsored by Mayfair Bank, Grain Bulk Handlers and Shikara Ltd, is a 54-hole KGU tournament where the Amateur golfer of the year will be named.
Nyali Club captain John Stokes yesterday said the course is in good condition following the recent rains and the club is ready to host the championships, which is a world Amateur golf ranking event that is open to male golfers with handicap of 18 and below.
- Muhammad Ali’s son: I expected to inherit Sh516m after my father’s death, now I’m surviving on less than Sh700 a dayBoxing 1 day ago
- ‘My husband Zapata is a performer’ – wife to former AFC Leopards coachFootball 2 months ago
- Man Utd v Juventus: Ronaldo sends powerful message to Manchester United fansFootball 1 month ago
- Cycling: Sakib sprints to victory in Mombasa bike contestSports 2 months ago
- Kemboi, Jerop win Kass MarathonAthletics 4 weeks ago
- Blow for Liverpool as star is ruled out before crucial Manchester United clashFootball 4 days ago
- Kenya battle Zambia for final berthFootball 3 days ago