Hockey: Amira condemn struggling Sliders to more misery
Amira Sailors piled more misery on the struggling Sliders after they defeated them 3-0 in a Kenya Hockey Union women’s league match yesterday at City Park.
Pauline Naise bagged a brace while Yvette Kanyadong scored once as they guided Amira to their 10th win.
With the victory, Amira, who are making their second appearance in the league this season, maintained their third spot on the standings with 33 points.
Their victory reduced the gap between them and second-placed United States International University of Africa (USIU-A) to one point.
After finishing third behind champions Telkom and Strathmore University last season, Amira are seeking an improved finish this season.
Amira coach Linnet Onyango remained optimistic that her charges can still achieve their season’s objective.
“We were hopeful of a better finish this season and I believe it can still be done. With today’s win we have reduced the gap between us and the top two teams and if we keep securing every available point, then even a top two finish is achievable,” Onyango said.
Naise led Amira’s goal hunt and her combination with captain Leah Omwandho, Pauline Ochieng, and Jedidah Zawadi was a constant threat.
Naise put them through just before the end of the first quarter. [Elizabeth Mburugu]
- Ulinzi in bid to gun down rivals to reclaim title Football 5 hours ago
- What Beckham asked Zidane to do ahead of Champions League finalFootball 12 hours ago
- Cristiano Ronaldo reveals when he will retire Football 19 hours ago
- K’Ogalo need to improve both their brand and standardsFootball 6 days ago
- Hamilton bounces with Azerbaijan Grand Prix victory, Red Bull team egaged in accident Sports 3 weeks ago
- Barcelona lose unbeaten record in style against Levante Football 1 week ago
- Athletics: Mountain running trials set for April 28Athletics 1 month ago