Hockey: Amira condemn struggling Sliders to more misery
Amira Sailors piled more misery on the struggling Sliders after they defeated them 3-0 in a Kenya Hockey Union women’s league match yesterday at City Park.
Pauline Naise bagged a brace while Yvette Kanyadong scored once as they guided Amira to their 10th win.
With the victory, Amira, who are making their second appearance in the league this season, maintained their third spot on the standings with 33 points.
Their victory reduced the gap between them and second-placed United States International University of Africa (USIU-A) to one point.
After finishing third behind champions Telkom and Strathmore University last season, Amira are seeking an improved finish this season.
Amira coach Linnet Onyango remained optimistic that her charges can still achieve their season’s objective.
“We were hopeful of a better finish this season and I believe it can still be done. With today’s win we have reduced the gap between us and the top two teams and if we keep securing every available point, then even a top two finish is achievable,” Onyango said.
Naise led Amira’s goal hunt and her combination with captain Leah Omwandho, Pauline Ochieng, and Jedidah Zawadi was a constant threat.
Naise put them through just before the end of the first quarter. [Elizabeth Mburugu]
- De Bruyne to miss three months with knee injuryFootball 7 hours ago
- Namibia coach wary of Simbas threat in Cup tieRugby 21 hours ago
- Ashley and Njenga win in Karen tourney for juniorsGolf 1 day ago
- Cavalry Cup set to light up Manyatta Polo Club in GilgilSports 21 hours ago
- Ujuzisoka land in SpainFootball 21 hours ago
- Hail Kenya’s shooting stars: Local sharpshooters post superb display in South AfricaSports 21 hours ago
- How Bett’s talent was tapped while in schoolAthletics 6 days ago