Jepkosgei says all is not lost
Joyceline Jepkosgei did the unthinkable. She carried her tally to five world records at the Prague half marathon last month, which left the sporting world dazed.
It’s now rated among the highest achievements in road running as she brimmed with speed, endurance and athletic power.
Kenya Defence Forces' (KDF) Jepkosgei lowered Peres Chepchirchir’s mark at the Prague half marathon in March that had lasted for a month.
She erased 65.09 and slapped a news 64:52 mark at Ras Al Khaimah (RAK) in the United Arab Emirates.
In June, she became the first woman to run under 30 minutes, smashing world record at Prague Grand Prix 10km, an IAAF Gold Label Road Race.
The 23-year-old clocked 29:43, breaking through the 30-minute barrier and shattering her own record of 30:04, also set in the Czech capital, at the Prague Half Marathon in April this year. She set a world best for 5km of 14:33 en route to that victory.
That marked the fifth world record of the year for Jepkosgei, who broke four –10km, 15km, 20km and the half marathon –en route to her victory at the Prague Half Marathon in April.
Unfortunately, she did not make it to the nominees list in the 2017 IAAF World Athlete of the Year Awards.
But luck would come the soldier's way as Kenya Defence Forces fetes heroes and heroines at Isiolo Barracks today.
“I am not disappointed for missing IAAF nominations though I expected it. I will still work hard to perform better. I am happy the four world records –10km, 15km, 20km and 21km –have been ratified," Jepkosgei said yesterday.
Jepkosgei, Seventh Day Adventist brethren, is among a host of KDF personnel lined up for rewards today.
Not bad for one who joined athletics as a student at Cheptil High School in Nandi County but has since relocated to Iten, the Mecca of world athletics.
- Class act as Senegal fans help clean up stadium after defeating PolandWorld Cup 2018 2 hours ago
- English star faces axe against Panama after disappointing performanceWorld Cup 2018 2 hours ago
- Senegal coach Cisse reveals secret weapon to victory over PolandWorld Cup 2018 3 hours ago
- Arsenal midfield star to leave the club after 17 years of serviceFootball 4 hours ago
- Did you know this interesting fact about Senegal’s 23-man squad for World Cup?World Cup 2018 3 hours ago
- Queens battle Leeds in MumiasFootball 14 hours ago
- VIDEOS: Song and dance as Portugal, Morocco fans bask in Luzhniki Stadium ahead of crucial matchWorld Cup 2018 1 hour ago