Jepkosgei says all is not lost
Joyceline Jepkosgei did the unthinkable. She carried her tally to five world records at the Prague half marathon last month, which left the sporting world dazed.
It’s now rated among the highest achievements in road running as she brimmed with speed, endurance and athletic power.
Kenya Defence Forces' (KDF) Jepkosgei lowered Peres Chepchirchir’s mark at the Prague half marathon in March that had lasted for a month.
She erased 65.09 and slapped a news 64:52 mark at Ras Al Khaimah (RAK) in the United Arab Emirates.
In June, she became the first woman to run under 30 minutes, smashing world record at Prague Grand Prix 10km, an IAAF Gold Label Road Race.
The 23-year-old clocked 29:43, breaking through the 30-minute barrier and shattering her own record of 30:04, also set in the Czech capital, at the Prague Half Marathon in April this year. She set a world best for 5km of 14:33 en route to that victory.
That marked the fifth world record of the year for Jepkosgei, who broke four –10km, 15km, 20km and the half marathon –en route to her victory at the Prague Half Marathon in April.
Unfortunately, she did not make it to the nominees list in the 2017 IAAF World Athlete of the Year Awards.
But luck would come the soldier's way as Kenya Defence Forces fetes heroes and heroines at Isiolo Barracks today.
“I am not disappointed for missing IAAF nominations though I expected it. I will still work hard to perform better. I am happy the four world records –10km, 15km, 20km and 21km –have been ratified," Jepkosgei said yesterday.
Jepkosgei, Seventh Day Adventist brethren, is among a host of KDF personnel lined up for rewards today.
Not bad for one who joined athletics as a student at Cheptil High School in Nandi County but has since relocated to Iten, the Mecca of world athletics.
- Olunga’s new club Kashiwa Reysol fighting hard to avoid relegationFootball 15 hours ago
- Real Madrid’s plans for stunning Sh41 billion stadium revealed [Photos]Football 1 hour ago
- Sang: We won't phase out Kipchoge Keino's nameAthletics 11 hours ago
- Champions League Group A: Atletico shake off domestic woes to clinch comeback win at MonacoFootball 11 hours ago
- Champions League: Late Firmino strike gives Liverpool 3-2 win over PSGFootball 11 hours ago
- Barcelona 4-0 PSV Eindhoven: Messi scores stunning hat-trick in Champions LeagueFootball 4 hours ago
- Sh1.1m raised for noble cause: Chebii swings to victory as Weru registers maiden course Hole-in-OneGolf 1 day ago