Kasumba scoops Sofapaka’s best performer’s award again
Ugandan talismanic striker Umaru Kasumba has for the second time running won the Top Scorer and Best Performer award for Kenyan Premier League side Sofapaka for September.
Kasumba netted five goals of Batoto Ba Mungu’s seven scored last month.
For his impressive show, the Ugandan, who joined the former KPL champions in June from SC Villa, was awarded Sh30,000 cash prize during a brief ceremony at the team’s training ground at Eastleigh High School yesterday.
Having tied on 11 goals with Ulinzi Stars striker Stephen Waruru, the joint leading scorer is confident of clinching the prestigious golden boot.
“Were it not for hard work and discipline, I don’t think I would have made it. I’m not done yet in scoring in the Kenyan league and my target is to bag the Golden Boot Award,” said Kasumba after receiving the award.
No hard feelings
Mohamed Kalume tied with Modest Aloro for the best player runners-up accolade, but it was the former who scooped Sh20,000 following an evaluation of matches against Chemelil Sugar, Ulinzi Stars, Kariobangi Sharks, Kakamega Homeboyz and Gor Mahia.
“At Sofapaka, we are like a family bound by love where everyone is another’s keeper. Kalume is younger than Aloro who won the last edition and it was only fair that he be given the honour to boost his confidence. There are absolutely no hard feelings in this arrangement,” said Sofapaka coach Sam Ssimbwa.
The Ugandan tactician urged Sofapaka players to work hard and win the awards.
Sofapaka are currently tied on 45 points with third-placed Kakamega Homeboyz, with four games to go.
“Players have to be dedicated and above all show me that they have what it takes to play for a team of Sofapaka’s calibre since this is the only avenue to the awards."
Ssimbwa added: “Such attributes require hard work and this is what I have been trying to instil in the team all along.”
- Handball: KHF to organize referees’ courseVolleyball and Handball 2 months ago
- Snook wary of Morocco threatRugby 5 hours ago
- Arsenal midfield star to leave the club after 17 years of serviceFootball 2 days ago
- Spain boss faces axe one day to the World CupGossip & Rumours 1 week ago
- UEFA fines European giants after cat stops Champions League matchFootball 2 weeks ago
- Former Arsenal star set to run for president of Nigeria in 2019Gossip & Rumours 2 months ago
- Yaya Toure says Guardiola has problem with African playersFootball 2 weeks ago