Commonwealth: Kenya withdraws from Games
Kenya yesterday confirmed its withdrawal from next month’s Commonwealth Youth Games in the Bahamas to concentrate on hosting the IAAF World Under-18 athletics championships.
The July 19-23 Commonwealth Youth Games in Nassau, which feature athletics, boxing, judo, rugby sevens, swimming and tennis, begin three days after the conclusion of the World Under-18 track and field event in Nairobi.
“After due consideration and deliberations, I have been advised to inform you that we will not be in a position to sponsor the team because most of the resources have been committed to the World Under-18 Youth Championships, which Kenya is hosting,” Kenyan sports official Haroun Komen said in a letter to the National Olympic Committee of Kenya, which is responsible for the team’s participation.
“Subsequently, Kenya will not send a team to the Games.” [Reuters]
- BASKETBALL: Kenya defend boys’ under-18 Africa Zone Five titleBasketball 11 hours ago
- Man United and Man City to battle for PSG superstarWorld Cup 2018 2 hours ago
- Messi’s diehard fan commits suicide after Argentina shockerSports 53 minutes ago
- Sportpesa finally unveils the identity of 31milion mega jackpot winnerWorld Cup 2018 4 days ago
- Shujaa players boycott training ahead of Rugby World CupRugby 2 days ago
- Maradona demands access to Argentina training ground in bid to resurrect World Cup 2018 campaignWorld Cup 2018 20 hours ago
- Fans shocked by what Messi did in Argentina's defeat by Croatia in World CupWorld Cup 2018 2 days ago