Commonwealth: Kenya withdraws from Games
Kenya yesterday confirmed its withdrawal from next month’s Commonwealth Youth Games in the Bahamas to concentrate on hosting the IAAF World Under-18 athletics championships.
The July 19-23 Commonwealth Youth Games in Nassau, which feature athletics, boxing, judo, rugby sevens, swimming and tennis, begin three days after the conclusion of the World Under-18 track and field event in Nairobi.
“After due consideration and deliberations, I have been advised to inform you that we will not be in a position to sponsor the team because most of the resources have been committed to the World Under-18 Youth Championships, which Kenya is hosting,” Kenyan sports official Haroun Komen said in a letter to the National Olympic Committee of Kenya, which is responsible for the team’s participation.
“Subsequently, Kenya will not send a team to the Games.” [Reuters]
- Equity, KCB battle in final roundSports 4 days ago
- Sadio Mane left in floods of tears during Africa Cup of Nations qualifier match Football 8 hours ago
- Rugby: Kenya’s World Cup dreams go up in smokeRugby 1 hour ago
- Mourinho facing touchline ban after shock twist in FA probe Football 1 week ago
- Racing: Kenya will be enlisted in the world championship for a three-year period from 2020Sports 1 month ago
- How Raila pumped K'Ogalo's camp in LiverpoolFootball 1 week ago
- Why Harambee Stars have not received Sh50 million despite 3-0 win over Ethiopia Football 1 month ago