Commonwealth: Kenya withdraws from Games
Kenya yesterday confirmed its withdrawal from next month’s Commonwealth Youth Games in the Bahamas to concentrate on hosting the IAAF World Under-18 athletics championships.
The July 19-23 Commonwealth Youth Games in Nassau, which feature athletics, boxing, judo, rugby sevens, swimming and tennis, begin three days after the conclusion of the World Under-18 track and field event in Nairobi.
“After due consideration and deliberations, I have been advised to inform you that we will not be in a position to sponsor the team because most of the resources have been committed to the World Under-18 Youth Championships, which Kenya is hosting,” Kenyan sports official Haroun Komen said in a letter to the National Olympic Committee of Kenya, which is responsible for the team’s participation.
“Subsequently, Kenya will not send a team to the Games.” [Reuters]
- Pogba reveals why he held World Cup trophy with shin pad during celebrationsWorld Cup 2018 21 hours ago
- Golf-action moves to Karen course as KCB tourney kicks off-sports-golfGolf 16 hours ago
- Ronaldo targets Champions League glory at new club JuventusFootball 18 hours ago
- Two France fans die in Moscow during violent World Cup celebrationWorld Cup 2018 1 day ago
- PHOTOS: Man United first pre-season training session in Los AngelesFootball 6 hours ago
- Focus shifts to KCB Karen Masters tourneyGolf 16 hours ago
- Riots, looting spree and accidents taint French World Cup partyWorld Cup 2018 1 day ago