Commonwealth: Kenya withdraws from Games
Kenya yesterday confirmed its withdrawal from next month’s Commonwealth Youth Games in the Bahamas to concentrate on hosting the IAAF World Under-18 athletics championships.
The July 19-23 Commonwealth Youth Games in Nassau, which feature athletics, boxing, judo, rugby sevens, swimming and tennis, begin three days after the conclusion of the World Under-18 track and field event in Nairobi.
“After due consideration and deliberations, I have been advised to inform you that we will not be in a position to sponsor the team because most of the resources have been committed to the World Under-18 Youth Championships, which Kenya is hosting,” Kenyan sports official Haroun Komen said in a letter to the National Olympic Committee of Kenya, which is responsible for the team’s participation.
“Subsequently, Kenya will not send a team to the Games.” [Reuters]
- Liverpool receive treble boost as injured stars close in on comebacksFootball 1 month ago
- Maseno and Moi University lead race to championship qualifiersRugby 3 weeks ago
- Zidane’s huge promise to Real Madrid after replacing SolariFootball 1 month ago
- Diego Maradona’s daughter 'walked in on him taking drugs'Football 2 weeks ago
- Kenyans battle Ethiopians in Boston after Paris lossAthletics 5 days ago
- Why Alexis Sanchez is the highest paid player in Premier League (Sh52 million per week)Football 1 month ago
- Migne: I am tired of the empty promisesFootball 1 month ago