Commonwealth: Kenya withdraws from Games
Kenya yesterday confirmed its withdrawal from next month’s Commonwealth Youth Games in the Bahamas to concentrate on hosting the IAAF World Under-18 athletics championships.
The July 19-23 Commonwealth Youth Games in Nassau, which feature athletics, boxing, judo, rugby sevens, swimming and tennis, begin three days after the conclusion of the World Under-18 track and field event in Nairobi.
“After due consideration and deliberations, I have been advised to inform you that we will not be in a position to sponsor the team because most of the resources have been committed to the World Under-18 Youth Championships, which Kenya is hosting,” Kenyan sports official Haroun Komen said in a letter to the National Olympic Committee of Kenya, which is responsible for the team’s participation.
“Subsequently, Kenya will not send a team to the Games.” [Reuters]
- Man United goalkeeper De Gea blasts ‘stupid’ criticismFootball 13 hours ago
- Real Madrid’s plans for stunning Sh41 billion stadium revealed [Photos]Football 10 hours ago
- Heartwarming story of Mfang'ano, island of great soccer talentFootball 10 hours ago
- Jose Mourinho explains why his captain will not play against Young Boys tonight Football 6 hours ago
- Sang: We won't phase out Kipchoge Keino's nameAthletics 21 hours ago
- Champions League Group A: Atletico shake off domestic woes to clinch comeback win at MonacoFootball 21 hours ago
- Champions League: Late Firmino strike gives Liverpool 3-2 win over PSGFootball 21 hours ago