Zetech clip Eagle’s wings: New kids on the block overcome former powerhouse
University students shock former champions in women’s league tie.
Newly promoted Zetech University defeated former champions Eagle Wings 34-23 in a low-scoring Kenya Basketball Federation (KBF) women’s Premier League match at Upper Hill School in Nairobi at the weekend.
Rebecca Nkatha led Zetech to a 27-13 lead at half time after the students won the first and second quarters 14-4 and 13-9.
Eagle Wings led with a slim margin of 6-5 in the third quarter and 4-2 in the last quarter. Winnie Wafula had six points for Eagle Wings, while Nkatha had 21 for Zetech.
“We cherish this win. Eagle Wings have good players and every side dreads to meet them. Our next assignment is on June 24 against Kenya Ports Authority in Mombasa and hope to maintain the good form,” Zetech head coach Maurice Obilo said.
But while Zetech’s women team is enjoying an admirable form, their men’s team in the Division One league seems to be on a free fall.
The men’s team lost to hosts Nakuru Club before losing 55-35 to Upper Hill on Sunday.
“Some of our key players have graduated from the university, while others were promoted to the senior side that is contesting in the KBF Premier League.
“We hope to have a good recruitment during the September intake. Through selection of new players, we know that we will do well in the coming season.”
Meanwhile, Mombasa City defeated Juba in the ongoing Inter Cities Basketball Championships at Nyayo Stadium.
Samuel Ocholla and Jerry Wekesa each scored 10 points for Mombasa, while Leek Manyuol and David Gabriel had 19 and 12 points for the South Sudanese.
Nairobi City won 87-71 over Dar es Salaam in the second game.
Griffins Ligare starred for Nairobi with 16 points, while Bryan Murima contributed 20 for Dar es Salaam.
Teams from Nairobi, Mogadishu, Juba, Kampala, Mombasa and Dar es Salaam are taking part in the five-day event.
The teams are competing for cash prizes, where the top three sides will receive between Sh250, 000 and Sh620, 000.
Winners and selected sides from West and Southern Africa will compete at the inaugural ACC-AFRICA tournament, whose venue in yet to be announced.
- BASKETBALL: Kenya defend boys’ under-18 Africa Zone Five titleBasketball 11 hours ago
- Man United and Man City to battle for PSG superstarWorld Cup 2018 2 hours ago
- Messi’s diehard fan commits suicide after Argentina shockerSports 45 minutes ago
- Sportpesa finally unveils the identity of 31milion mega jackpot winnerWorld Cup 2018 4 days ago
- Shujaa players boycott training ahead of Rugby World CupRugby 2 days ago
- Maradona demands access to Argentina training ground in bid to resurrect World Cup 2018 campaignWorld Cup 2018 20 hours ago
- Fans shocked by what Messi did in Argentina's defeat by Croatia in World CupWorld Cup 2018 2 days ago