Schools get new champs: Green Commandos recapture football title after beating Passenga in penalty shootout
In overall performance, Rift Valley topped the chat followed by Western and Nyanza
New champions emerged after all title holders were shown the door as national secondary schools Term Two ‘A’ games ended yesterday at Shanzu Teachers Training College in Mombasa.
In boy’s football, Kakamega, known as Green Commandos were crowned new champions after beating Passenga from Central 4-3 on penalties after a barren draw.
Kakamega converted through Keith Karani, Jefaton Machira, Samson Oteto and Fortune Basil with Evans Odhiambo’s shot getting saved.
Passenga scored through Ian Mbimwa, Lemeck Chipchir and Paul Mbua.
In the playoffs, Ramisi of Coast region stunned favourites Kisumu Day with a 3-1 victory. Both teams drew 1-1 at the normal time.
Leonard Osiago scored for Kisumu Day while Abdalla Maridadi scored a brace before Hamisi Refa added the third goal.
In girl’s under 16 football, immediate former champions Wiyeta of Rift Valley surrendered the title after they were upset 1-0 by Nairobi’s Olympic in a tight final match.
After missed chances in the opening minutes, Joy Aketch notched home the winner in the 15th minute after she beat an offside trap.
Olympic coach Maurice Okumu could not hide his joy.
“It was a well-deserved victory,” he said while in celebration mood while on the other side, Wiyeta coach Edgar Mayara said the girls gave their best.
In the playoffs, Razia Mukoma scored a brace for Nyakach from Nyanza to beat Chebukaka from Western 2-0.
Rift Valley won the overall athletics title (314 points) with Nyanza and Western bagging 189 and 136 points, respectively. Others were Eastern (122), Central (109), Nairobi (81), Coast (2) and North Eastern trailed without a point.
Rift Valley’s boys topped with 154 points while Western and Nyanza had 80 and 79, respectively.
The girls’ overall title went to Rift Valley with 147 points.
Nyanza and Eastern bagged 110 and 69 for the second and third positions, respectively.
Meshack Babu of Maziwa school in Trans Nzoia County and Gloria Mulei from Machakos County were the best boy and girl athlete with 16 and 14 points respectively.
- Kenya Sevens coach Simiyu sackedRugby 1 day ago
- Fans shocked by what Messi did in Argentina's defeat by Croatia in World CupWorld Cup 2018 12 hours ago
- Cristiano Ronaldo: Why I am growing a beard this World Cup seasonWorld Cup 2018 1 day ago
- Death threats sent to Colombian midfielder Sanchez after he was red carded World Cup 2018 10 hours ago
- Sterling reveals the incredible story behind why he turned down ArsenalFootball 5 hours ago
- Messi and Aguero to retire from international football if Argentina flop out of World CupWorld Cup 2018 6 hours ago
- Senegal defender confirms Sarri’s move to ChelseaWorld Cup 2018 9 hours ago