Newbies shine as league commences: Handball Nanyuki pick their first win over Mount Kenya University
The matches continue today with several fixtures lined up.
Newbies Nanyuki men handball team picked their first win of the season with a win 28-24 against Mount Kenya University (MKU) Thika Campus as the Kenya Handball Federation national league kicked off on Thursday at Nyayo stadium.
Nanyuki’s Christopher Mureithi emerged the top scorer of the match with nine goals while team mate Sammy Waiganjo managed five goals.
Evans Malick and Kenneth Biwot had seven and six respectively as MKU Thika’s top scorers. Nanyuki coach Fredrick Otieno said despite missing some of his players in their season opener, he is looking forward for a fruitful season.
“The match was good despite the players having challenges of not converting the chances. We started the match slowly because we wanted to see how our opponents were playing and then counter them and it worked.
“It was a good result for us playing with Thika who finished fourth last season. We are targeting a top four place this season so that we qualify for the play-offs,” he said.
Nanyuki started the match slowly trailing by two goals (4-6) in the first quarter and were forced to chase the match from behind following a series of misplaced passes and inability to utilize their chances in front of goal compared to their opponents.
At the breather, Nanyuki were trailing by three goals (10-13) but on resumption, they picked up slowly to post a 20-17 lead by the third quarter.
The defeat was a blow for the Thika-based side that has been in the league for a couple of years.
In another exciting match at the same venue, other newcomers National Youth Service (NYS) shocked Multi Media University (MMU) 20-17.
MMU’s Ernest Onyango scored seven as the top scorer of the match while Godfrey Mnyasi and James Lekimenjo managing four each as top scorers for NYS.
Black Mamba started the season the season on a high as they registered a 29-18 win over league returnees, University of Nairobi. In the women’s category, MKU Thika welcomed NYS in style with a comfortable 33-12 win.
- BASKETBALL: Kenya defend boys’ under-18 Africa Zone Five titleBasketball 11 hours ago
- Man United and Man City to battle for PSG superstarWorld Cup 2018 2 hours ago
- Messi’s diehard fan commits suicide after Argentina shockerSports 51 minutes ago
- Sportpesa finally unveils the identity of 31milion mega jackpot winnerWorld Cup 2018 4 days ago
- Shujaa players boycott training ahead of Rugby World CupRugby 2 days ago
- Maradona demands access to Argentina training ground in bid to resurrect World Cup 2018 campaignWorld Cup 2018 20 hours ago
- Fans shocked by what Messi did in Argentina's defeat by Croatia in World CupWorld Cup 2018 2 days ago