Confederations Cup: Ulinzi Stars win but crash out
It was too little too late for Ulinzi Stars as they rallied to beat Egyptian side Smouha 3-0 in their Confederations Cup return match at Machakos Stadium yesterday.
The soldiers bowed out in the first round of the tournament on a 4-3 goal aggregate as they had lost the first leg 4-0 in Egypt.
Coming into yesterday’s match, the Kenyan soldiers were well aware of the difficult task awaiting them and started strongly.
With a sense of urgency pushing them, Ulinzi Stars went on the offensive right from the start.
The soldiers were always quick on the attack and were sure to go back on the defensive every time they lost the ball. They completely subdued their opponents who were forced to resort to long balls.
Man of the match Samuel Onyango opened the scoring in the 10th minute when he sneaked behind the Smouha backline to send home Daniel Waweru’s pass.
Inspired by the goal and the hundreds of fans who turned up at the venue, Ulinzi kept up the pressure with their opponents opting to stay back.
Onyango scored the second goal in the 37th minute when he intercepted a poor clearance to put the ball behind the net.
- Politicians angry about 'Visit Rwanda' on Arsenal's shirtsFootball 19 hours ago
- Soccer officials ferry slay queens and girlfriends on foreign tripGossip & Rumours 1 day ago
- Liverpool fans stranded ahead of Champions League finalFootball 20 hours ago
- Liverpool out to topple RealFootball 14 hours ago
- Ulinzi in bid to gun down rivals to reclaim title Football 14 hours ago
- What Beckham asked Zidane to do ahead of Champions League finalFootball 21 hours ago
- Mane paints hometown red by donating 300 Liverpool shirtsFootball 1 day ago