Over 4,000 confirmed for EA University games

Technical University's Paul Ondara jumps to score at the opponent Strathmore University's Jack Maloba, right, during Handball play-offs at Kenyatta University on Saturday, February 28th, 2015. PHOTO/JONAH ONYANGO.

All is set for this year’s East Africa University Games that kick off today at Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT) and Kenyatta University.

According to the games’ secretary general, Simon Munayi, 43 universities had by yesterday confirmed participation in the championships that will bring together universities from Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and Rwanda.

“Preparations are over and we are expecting officials from participating nations. Teams will compete in 18 disciplines, with most matches being hosted at the JKUAT grounds, while others will be at Kenyatta University.

“So far, 36 teams have confirmed participation in football, which means, we will have many matches. Athletics and badminton will be held at Kasarani Stadium, but all final matches will be at the JKUAT grounds,” he said.

Munayi said they expect more than 4,000 participants in the biennial games that will end on December 22. Uganda’s Ndeje University, who won the last edition held at Uganda Christian University (UCU) in 2014, have dominated the games with ease.

“Ndeje have been very strong during the last nine editions, but we hope our local universities will use their home advantage and outdo the visitors. I trust Kenyatta University will give Ndeje stiff opposition in the games. All in all we pray to have a successful event,” said Munayi.

JKUAT’s director of sports Moses Ondeng said the institution is ready to host the games.

“We have prepared well and are expecting a successful competition. We want to make sure we have a successful event. Plans are in place to make sure all participants are comfortable throughout the tournament,” he said.

Teams were expected to arrive yesterday ahead of the games that start today from 10am.

Strathmore University handball team Peter Mwathi said his charges are ready for the regional games, insisting they have prepared well.

“We are ready for the challenge ahead. We took part in the Jamhuri Day Open over the weekend where we lost in the final to National Cereals and Produce Board (NCPB). It was a good test for us and we have known our strengths and weaknesses. This will help us as we start our campaign for the regional title today,” he said.

Today’s matches:

Football, basketball, volleyball, handball, hockey, chess, karate, badminton, tennis, softball, table tennis, woodwall, netball and scrabble.

Next Story
LATEST STORIES
Just who is helping Kenyan athletes to dope?

Collapsed Federico, Berardelli cases means nation is far from establishing the cause of the substance abuse scourge

Anti-Doping Agency of Kenya to conduct thorough doping investigations, says CEO Rugut

The Anti-Doping Agency of Kenya (Adak) Chief Executive Officer, Japhter Rugut, says they have learned valuable lessons from the failed cases to prosecute Italian nationals, Federico Rosa and Claudio Berardelli.

Karoki officially exits track: World Half silver medallist now ready for marathon challenge

Japan-based athlete now targets good show in big city marathons after fourth-place finish at London World Championships.

Rugby: Six teams pull out of Dala Sevens

A week after Kenya Rugby Union (KRU) suspended the 2017 Safari Sevens that was scheduled to be staged in first week of November, six teams have pulled out of Dala Sevens that will begin today at Mamboleo Grounds over the same fears.

Cricket: Lions are hoping to successfully defend their title

Stray Lions set sights on Kanbis: Lions are hoping to successfully defend their title

More Stories
Man city superstar set to double his earnings

Kevin De Bruyne is set to double his wages at Manchester City with a new deal after his impressive start to the new season.

Kaka moved to tears during final MLS match

Kaka broke down in tears as he played out his final home match for Orlando City.

Conte gives injury update on Moses and Alvaro Morata ahead of Roma clash

Chelsea boss, Antonio Conte confirmed that Victor Moses has added to his Blues injury woes ahead of Wednesday's Champions League match with Roma.

Sergio Aguero reveals the truth about his car crush

Sergio Aguero has revealed his taxi made a wrong turn before crashing into a pole in Amsterdam on Thursday night.

Chelsea's Conte bemoans scheduling ahead of Man City clash

Chelsea manager Antonio Conte has questioned the scheduling of the side’s Premier League match against Manchester City on Saturday, saying his players may not have enough time to recover from their Champions League win at Atletico Madrid.

Manchester United, Arsenal and Liverpool battling it out for teenage sensation

Manchester United and Arsenal are among the clubs tracking MK Dons starlet Dylan Asonganyi.