Gor Mahia cash in on Aucho's transfer
Kenyan Premier League (KPL) champions Gor Mahia have received Sh1.6 million from the transfer of Ugandan midfielder Khalid Aucho to Baroka FC of South Africa.
Aucho signed a two-year contract with the Premier Soccer League (PSL) side for an undisclosed fee.
Gor Mahia acting Secretary General Ronald Ngala confirmed that Baroka had paid them.
“We received 200,000 rand (approximately Sh1.6million) for the transfer of Aucho to the club,” he said.
The low fees earned by Gor Mahia is due to the fact that the player had less than six months remaining on his contract and would have been a free agent in a few months, meaning he would have gone for free.
Aucho joined Gor Mahia from Tusker last year and won the league title with the club in a season he was named the runner-up for the Best Midfielder award in the Kenyan Premier League although many thought he should have picked the gong.
At Gor Mahia, he built a reputation as a skillful midfielder. His performance at Gor was replicated on the Uganda national team, which he led to play at next year’s Africa Cup of Nations finals.
Prior to joining Baroka, Aucho attended two-week trials at Scottish side Arberdeen but despite impressing manager Derek Mclness, the club did not give him a contract, forcing him to try his luck in South Africa.
- Eden Hazard forced to stop his trademark Chelsea goal celebration - Here's why [Photos] Premier League 1 month ago
- Touching story of Cliff Nyakeya, Midfielder of the Year who almost quit footballFootball 1 week ago
- Thunder break into Equity Bank safeBasketball 6 days ago
- Messi pictured for first time since breaking arm [Photos]Football 2 weeks ago
- Hockey: Amira share spoils with JKUAT in City ParkHockey 1 month ago
- Red card what? Ronaldo cleared to face Man United in the Champions LeagueFootball 1 month ago
- How Kenyans threw caution to the wind in CricketCricket 3 hours ago