Sweden's Ekdal still hospitalised after nightclub mishap
Sweden international midfielder Albin Ekdal, who injured himself in a nightclub just one month before Euro 2016, said Tuesday he must remain in hospital for several more days.
Ekdal, 26, revealed on Twitter that he fell on a glass table and cut his back last weekend in Hamburg where he plays club football.
"I'm going to remain in hospital for several days but the doctors' diagnosis is encouraging," he said.
"I'll do everything in my power to play in the Euro, if I'm selected, which I have long aspired to."
An ankle injury in October meant Ekdal has been restricted to just 14 league appearances this season for Hamburg, but he is set to be named in the provisional Sweden squad for Euro 2016 on Wednesday.
Ekdal, who has won 21 caps since making his debut in 2011, will be competing with Malmo's Oscar Lewicki or Olympiakos' Jimmy Durmaz for a midfield place in the Sweden team in France.
Hamren's Sweden play Slovenia in Malmo on May 30 and Wales in Solna on June 5 in their final warm-up games before taking on Republic of Ireland at Paris' Stade de France in their first European championship match on June 13.
The Swedes also face Belgium and Italy in Group E.
- Caster Semenya loses landmark legal case over testosterone levelsAthletics 2 weeks ago
- Aaron Ramsey’s tearful farewell to ArsenalFootball 2 weeks ago
- Do you know Tiger Woods’ girlfriend? Meet the stunning Erica Herman [Photos]Golf 1 month ago
- Why Barca fans are upset with CoutinhoFootball 4 weeks ago
- Inside Messi's training: Barcelona star wears camera to offer fans incredible insight [Photos]Football 5 days ago
- Star condemns Arsenal to shocking defeat at Goodison ParkFootball 1 month ago
- Athlete shocks the world, performs incredible 'Superman dive' to win race [Photos]Athletics 6 days ago