Police officer killed, seven people injured in accidents
By Antony Gitonga | July 22nd 2021
One police officer was killed and another seriously injured after they were hit by trucks near Naivasha town.
In the first incident, an officer on patrol was hit and killed Wednesday evening by a truck ferrying sand along the Mai Mahiu-Narok road.
Also killed was a driver of a personal car that the officer was inspecting at a roadblock near Suswa police post, just 15 kilometres from Mai Mahiu town.
Area police commander Samuel Waweru said that the driver of the truck, headed to Narok, escaped with minor injuries.
“The speeding truck rammed into the rear of the personal car before hitting the policeman,” Waweru said.
He said the wrecks were towed to Suswa police post while the bodies were taken to a local mortuary.
In the second incident, a traffic police officer was injured after he was hit by another truck along the Nairobi-Nakuru highway.
The officer had stopped the matatu when the truck, headed to Naivasha, hit the matatu and the officer at Matches trading centre in Kinangop.
Six passengers in the matatu were injured.
Simon Mwathi, a witness, blamed the incident on foggy weather, noting that it had adversely affected visibility.
Mwathi said the driver of the truck swerved to avoid hitting the officer but ended up colliding with the matatu.
“The officer was rushed to Kijabe Mission Hospital,” he said.
A senior officer from Magumu police station said the driver of the truck was arrested and will be charged in court.
Italian Jacobs wins men's 100m gold at Tokyo Olympics
- Olympics: Rotich and Korir reach 800m final as Saruni misses out
- Ferdinand Omanyala breaks national record, but fails to make finals
- Chepkoech, Kiyeng through to steeplechase final as Korir disqualified in 400m men heats
Missing student found dead at university grounds
- Raila agrees to share political party billions with Wiper, other parties
- Unknown people were tracking Wycliffe Omwenga
- Fanfare as Raila meets musicians
By Betty Njeru
- Letter from Ithanga: Murang’a’s unexploited agricultural Canaan
By XN Iraki
- The four options for Kalonzo in 2022 succession