× Digital News Videos Opinion Special Reports Lifestyle Weird News Health & Science Education Columns The Hague Trial Kenya @ 50 Comand Your Morning E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman Travelog TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS

Police arrest businessman who defied cessation order to travel to Nakuru

By Mercy Kahenda | May 22nd 2020 at 10:59:13 GMT +0300

Police have arrested a businessman who was trying to gain entry to his rental house in Nakuru after travelling from Nairobi.

Ismael Ahmed Mohammed allegedly drove to St Mary's estate, near Afraha in Nakuru, where he was arrested.

Nakuru County Police Commander Stanley Tito Kilonzi confirmed the arrest, saying the police swiftly moved to the estate after locals raised an alarm.

Kilonzi said after the arrest, police informed the department of public health that directed him to be taken to a forceful 14-day quarantine at the Kenya Industrial Training Institute (KITI).

After the 14 days grace period, he will undergo compulsory Covid-19 tests.

"Details about the suspect remains scanty, though he is said to have arrived from Nairobi and was planning to sneak to his house when members of the public stopped him," Kilonzi said.

Kilonzi also said the suspect is being interrogated to get details on how he left Nairobi, despite cessation of movement order by President Uhuru Kenyatta that restricts movement as a measure to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus.

"We want to know which routes the businessman used to arrive in Nakuru, and what he had travelled to do in Nairobi," the police boss said.

The arrest comes after Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe pleaded with Kenyans to be vigil and notify authorities on anybody who traveled from areas where movement has been restricted.

According to locals, the businessman he arrived in Nakuru at around 4pm, but was denied access to the estate by tenants who alerted the police of his presence.

He is reported to have been arrested and taken to Central police station, but was released under unclear circumstances.

It was after his release that locals closed gates at the plot, and informed the landlady, vowing not to allow him entry.

Mohamed, who is reported to own several businesses in Nairobi pleaded with the locals unsuccessfully. "The watchman told us that the trader told him that he sneaked from Nairobi and pleaded to be allowed in, but we were all scared and alerted the police," said Beatrice Ngure, a tenant at the plot.

Kilonzi ordered his arrest, a move that locals have applauded.

Ismael Ahmed Mohammed cessation of movement
Share this story

Read More