× Digital News Videos Health & Science Lifestyle Opinion Education Columnists Moi Cabinets Arts & Culture Ureport Fact Check The Standard Insider Kenya @ 50 Podcasts E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman Travelog TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS

Families in Meshack Yebei case to wait longer for DNA results from Government Chemist

By Titus Too and Silah Koskei | January 20th 2015 at 00:00:00 GMT +0300

Results of DNA samples taken for tests to determine the identity of the body of a man that has been lying at the Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital (MTRH) in Eldoret are anxiously awaited as detectives now say they are not sure when the results will be out.

Sleuths from Nairobi had earlier indicated the results would be out late last week or early this week, later saying they would be out mid this week.

Two families from Uasin Gishu and Nandi counties have claimed relationship to the deceased sparking off a mystery over the true identity of the body retrieved from River Yala in Nandi about three weeks ago.

John Kariuki, who is leading the team of detectives from the Special Crimes Unit from CID headquarters Nairobi said yesterday the DNA results will be announced as soon as they are received from the Government Chemist.

"We are waiting for the results and as soon as we receive them, we will announce. It is another office handling the tests and we are also waiting," Mr Kariuki told The Standard on telephone yesterday.

Read More

matatu tout

The Uasin Gishu family has maintained the remains are those of their kin Meshack Yebei, who has been reported to be an ICC defence witness, while the Nandi family from Chepsonoi claim that the dead man is their relative, Yusuf Hussein, a matatu tout who was last seen around Christmas time last year.

"We are still waiting for reports on DNA tests. We were expecting to receive the results yesterday (Monday) but they were delayed," said Saum Hussein, wife to Yusuf.

Saum said yesterday that they were expecting the results before family members could travel from Busia to Eldoret. She maintained that the body they viewed at the morgue last week is that of her husband Yusuf.

"We are expecting the results to be positive so that we can take the body immediately," said Abdi Shukri Hussein, Yusuf's brother. "Let the DNA tests confirm and ascertain the truth so that any doubts can be dispelled. If we receive positive results, we will bury the body immediately."

He called for a speedy testing saying the body had stayed too long in the morgue, which is not contrary to their Islamic faith that requires immediate interment.

Yebei's family upon identifying the body had earlier set the burial for last weekend but had to suspend it after detectives said the finger prints taken from the body had identified it as Yusuf.


Meshack Yebei ICC
Share this story

Read More