× Olympics Videos Livestream Medals Podcasts E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman Travelog TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
LOGIN ×
Former Mo Farah coach permanently banned due to sexual, emotional misconduct

Exclusive By

By | Olympics

Listen to this article
Mo Farah's disgraced former coach Alberto Salazar (left). [Courtesy]

The US Center for SafeSport has barred coach Alberto Salazar permanently from track and field citing sexual and emotional misconduct, according to its centralized disciplinary database on Monday.

Under SafeSport rules, Salazar has 10 business days to request arbitration, which would be conducted by an independent party. SafeSport declined to comment on Tuesday.

Salazar did not respond to a Reuters request for comment.

The US Center for SafeSport is an independent nonprofit organisation that provides sports with guidelines on how to provide safe environments for athletes and training for coaches and administrators.

American Salazar, who coached some of the world's top distance runners including British Olympic and world champion Mo Farah, was previously suspended by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency for "orchestrating and facilitating" doping as head coach of the Nike Oregon Project.

He has appealed the suspension to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

In this file photo taken on August 21, 2015 Cuban-American coach Alberto Salazar attends a practice session ahead of the 2015 IAAF World Championships at the "Bird's Nest" National Stadium in Beijing.

Nike did not respond to a similar request when contacted by Reuters.

Salazar won three consecutive New York City marathons from 1980 before coaching a slew of Olympians, including Farah, who won the 5,000 and 10,000m golds at the London and Rio Olympics before splitting with the American in 2017.

Farah has never failed a drugs test and has not been accused of any wrongdoing.

In a statement to Reuters, USA Track & Field (USATF) said it "takes all forms of misconduct extremely seriously".

"(USATF) took immediate action when reports were initially filed in this case," the national governing body said. "No form of abuse will ever be tolerated within our sport, and we will continue to prioritize athletes' emotional and physical safety above all else." 

Share This Story

Previous Article
Moroccan boxer tries to bite opponent in Olympics defeat
Next Article
Malkia Strikers send warning to top volleyball nations
×

Stay Ahead!

Access premium content only available
to our subscribers.

Support independent journalism