Homa Bay woman killed in quarry
By James Omoro | June 20th 2020
A village in Homa Bay County is in mourning after a 21-year-old woman was killed in a quarry where she was harvesting sand.
Cynthia Awuor died after the walls of the quarry caved in on her. The mother of three had been struggling to make ends meet.
Yesterday, residents of Kolondo village in Kodumo West Sub Location, Rachuonyo East Sub County were still struggling to come to terms with the loss of Awuor.
She was buried by debris in the quarry on Thursday evening, dying on the spot.
Efforts of residents who rushed to rescue her proved futile when they realised she could no longer breathe.
Kodumo West Sub Location Assistant Chief Nelly Atata said Awuor met her untimely death while in the company of other sand harvesters at the site.
“They started harvesting sand but the top layer fell on her. She had not been at the quarry for a long time,” said Atata.
She urged residents to avoid risky jobs and seek alternative ones which are safer.
The body was taken to Rachuonyo South Sub-county Hospital mortuary awaiting postmortem.
Kenya 7s captain Amonde set to hang up his boots after early exit at Tokyo 2020
- Olympics: New Zealand beat Kenya in women’s rugby sevens
- Olympics: Kenyans can relax as there was no typhoon
- Why Kenyan trio may not win 3000m steeplechase tomorrow
Missing student found dead at university grounds
- Raila agrees to share political party billions with Wiper, other parties
- Unknown people were tracking Wycliffe Omwenga
- Fanfare as Raila meets musicians
By Betty Njeru
- Letter from Ithanga: Murang’a’s unexploited agricultural Canaan
By XN Iraki
- The four options for Kalonzo in 2022 succession