300 prostitutes arrested, tested for HIV/Aids in Kisii town
By Erick Abuga | November 21st 2015
Kisii, Kenya - More than 300 prostitutes were on Thursday night arrested in Kisii town in a joint raid between Kisumu police officers and Kisii County Government reinforcement officers.
The arrests came as records from the County Health Department indicate majority of these girls could be HIV positive.
The girls were arrested in streets and brothels in the town.
They were later, on Friday taken to Kisii Teaching and Referral Hospital and tested for sexually transmitted diseases.
Those found infected with HIV/Aids would face prosecution for spreading the scourge. Kisii County Chief Officer Administration Patrick Lumumba and Kisii Central Police Deputy OCS Zamdan Mkonda led the more than two-hours operation.
"It is unfortunate that girls below the age of 15 are engaging in prostitution. We are losing a generation because of this social vice," said Mr Lumumba.
Speaker declines Sh35m house ‘gift’ from MCAs
- Trouble in Uhuru's 'bedroom' as allies switch camps
- Thika Road horror: Wife recounts last moments with motorist killed in bullet spray
- The 5 things Kirubi said I must enjoy in life: Igathe
By Brian Okoth
- Nairobi residents fear as muggers turn city centre into gangsters' paradise
- County finally gets access to DP's property to desilt Grogan canal