Ruto condemns attacks on judicial officers as he mourns slain magistrate

A view of the Makadara Law Courts. [FILE]

President William Ruto has condemned attacks and threats on judicial officers as he mourns slain Principal Magistrate Monica Kivuti, who met her death while in the line of duty.

This comes days after the magistrate succumbed to gunshot wounds sustained at a shooting incident at Makadara Law Courts, Nairobi.

While condoling with the family of Monica Kivuti via a post on X (formerly Twitter) Monday morning, the president described Monica’s death as premature.

“We have lost a firm and hardworking judicial professional who served Kenyans with dedication. She still had a lot to offer.”

He has also cautioned police officers against the misuse of firearms assigned to them, insisting that they should only be used for the sole purpose of protecting Kenyans.

“The police exist to assure Kenyans of reliable security. Under no circumstances should they abandon this essential obligation or ever turn from their duty of protection and become threats to the safety and security of the people,” he wrote, adding that, “What happened to Hon. Kivuti is unacceptable; it should never happen again.”

According to the president, such incidents of glaring insecurity within the precincts of courts endanger the lives of judicial officers and negatively impact on their work hence must be dealt with.

“The confrontation, threats and attacks of any form against judicial officers is unacceptable, criminal and an affront to the rule of law,” he stated.

The Kenya Magistrates and Judges Association announced on Sunday June 16 that its members will withdraw their services between June 19 and 21 until their employer, the Judicial Service Commission, upgrades security standards within their work stations. 

Ms Kivuti succumbed on Friday, June 14, while undergoing treatment at a hospital in Nairobi.

According to Chief Justice Martha Koome, the magistrate was rushed to Metropolitan Hospital in Buruburu before being transferred to the Nairobi Hospital for specialised treatment where she died owing to fatal chest and pelvic wounds.