× Digital News Videos Health & Science Opinion Education Columnists Lifestyle Cartoons Moi Cabinets Kibaki Cabinets Arts & Culture Podcasts E-Paper Tributes Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
×

British national accused of murder released on Sh2 million bail

NAIROBI
By Faith Karanja | June 30th 2016

NAIROBI, KENYA

British National and former Wananchi group CEO accused of murder has been released on bail.

Richard David Alden was on Thursday released on Sh2 million cash bail plus two sureties of similar amount.

Justice Jessie Lessit while delivering the Ruling also directed the suspect to deposit his passports in court.

"There is no reason to deny the accused bail since he has a right to be granted bail," said Lessit.

She directed the suspect not to leave the courts jurisdiction and to swear an affidavit indicating where he will be residing.

Judge Lessit also directed the suspect to be reporting to Karen Police Station every two weeks. Alden appeared before a magistrate court to answer to charges of being in possession of firearm without a firearm certificate.

He did not plead to charges because the prosecution made an application to defer the plea on the grounds that the accused was facing another matter at the high court that was pending ruling.

Prosecutor Eddie Kaddebe said they were waiting for a ruling before high court and the plea was differed to July 5.

Through lawyer cliff Ombeta, the accused had earlier requested the court to grant him bail claiming that he has a wife and three children who depend on him.

"I will avail myself before the court as of when I am required to do so until the matter is concluded," said Alden

Prosecuting Counsel Catherine Mwaniki had urged the court to remand the accused until evidence of potential witnesses is secured and the murder trial concluded.

"The Investigation Officers observed a fresh blood on the floor and other items in the bedroom at the scene of crime on June 4, 2016,"said Mwaniki.

She added that a pistol that was loaded with 14 rounds of magazine was also recovered from the scene. Mwaniki added that the officers recovered a firearm certificate bearing the names of the accused.

She added that the postmortem conducted on June 5, 2016 indicated that the deceased died due to severe chest and neck injuries due to single gunshot.

"It has also led to instances where aggrieved non-demonstrators end up organizing counter-protests as they feel insecure, are exposed to incessant violence and fear that no one is accountable when their rights are threatened or infringed upon during such protests. The lack of such a structure is therefore posing a serious internal threat to the Kenyan people, their rights, freedoms, property, stability and prosperity. It is also leading to the kind of despair that can lead to the collapse of the state," he adds.

Share this story
Magistrate charged with robbery to know fate on July 13
A High Court in Kisumu is set to make a landmark ruling on July 13 in a case where a Senior Resident Magistrate and an Administration Police officer are facing charges of robbery with violence.
Why Kenyan boxers are winning medals once again
The BFK led by President Anthony ‘Jamal’ Ombok was elected into the office in 2019 and has since...

.
RECOMMENDED NEWS

Feedback