× Digital News Videos Health & Science Opinion Education Columnists Lifestyle Cartoons Moi Cabinets Kibaki Cabinets Arts & Culture Podcasts E-Paper Tributes Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS

Father, son accused of terrorist acts

By Fred Makana | October 7th 2014
Warque Dejene Sar with Sar Guracha Haro at the Milimani Law Courts.The two were charged with committing a terrorist act  resulting to the death of Mugo Nga'ng'a.

A father and his son accused of blowing up two buses along Thika Road in May were yesterday jointly charged in a Nairobi court with committing a terrorist attack and being members of the Al-Shabaab militant group.

Warque Dejene Sar and his father Sar Guracha Haro were accused of committing a terrorist act jointly with others by placing improvised explosive devices in two public service vehicles, which exploded at Homeland and Roysambu, on May 4. Three passengers were killed and scores injured in the attack.

However, Sar and Haro denied blowing up the buses and were directed by the magistrate to remain in custody pending the hearing of their case on November 12.

Prosecutor Eddie Kadebe told Senior Principal Magistrate Peter Ndwiga that Sar was recruited alongside other Kenyan youths who sneaked through the border town of Mandera to the home of Al-Shabaab in Kismayu, where they were trained in terrorism.

According to a charge sheet produced in court, three passengers: Anthony Nganga, Anthony Miriti and Najibo Abdi died in the bus explosions, while other passengers were seriously wounded.

Sar and Haro’s charges read that on May 4, together with their accomplices, they placed improvised explosive devices in the two buses, which went off along the highway.


The two were also accused of soliciting for and giving support to the terrorist group. It was alleged that on May 8 in Kiamaiko, they solicited for and received Sh85,000 through an M-pesa agent known as Cool Breeze Kakuma. The money, which was meant to facilitate the attack, was then withdrawn in the Haro’s names.

The court also heard that on May 12, at Anti-Terrorism Police Unit offices, Sar professed to be a member of Al-Shabaab.

On a separate charge, Haro was accused of intimidating a witness. It was alleged that on July 4 at the Milimani courts, he threatened Paul Muchiri, saying “Mbona unatoa ushahidi ndiyo kijana wangu afungwe? Nitakuua,” (why are you giving evidence so my son can be jailed? I will kill you).

Share this story
Legislators laud Uhuru's decision to honour The Hague summons
MPs have welcomed President Uhuru Kenyatta's decision to transfer power to his deputy William Ruto, saying his attendance at The Hague proceedings safeguard the rule of law while protecting the country's sovereignty.
Why Kenyan boxers are winning medals once again
The BFK led by President Anthony ‘Jamal’ Ombok was elected into the office in 2019 and has since...