× Digital News Videos Health & Science Opinion Education Columnists Lifestyle Cartoons Moi Cabinets Kibaki Cabinets Arts & Culture Gender Podcasts E-Paper Tributes Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
×
VAS

Four killed, 14 injured in Nairobi bus blast

NAIROBI
By By CYRUS OMBATI | December 15th 2013

By CYRUS OMBATI

NAIROBI, KENYA: At least four people were last evening killed and 20 injured in an explosion in a matatu near Pangani Girls High School, in Nairobi.

The 32-seater matatu was headed for the city centre from Eastleigh when the explosive that is believed to have been inside went off.

Police said at least 20 other people were admitted to various hospitals with multiple injuries following the 5pm assault.

Nairobi head of police Benson Kibue told The Standard On Sunday the explosion caused massive damage to the matatu and five other cars that had been trailing it.

“We have casualties and it seems to have been an explosion from inside the matatu. People have been badly injured,” said Mr Kibue.

He said the death toll could rise because of the nature of injuries. Witnesses said they saw limbs strewn at the scene of the blast.

The incident attracted a huge crowd at the scene on Juja Road, a few meters from Pangani Police Station. One woman was among the three who died at the scene. Another later succumbed to injuries, bringing the number of lives lost to four.

Some of those injured were taken to Guru Nanak Hospital before being transferred to Kenyatta National Hospital.

The right side of the mini-bus was ripped off. Later in the evening, there were riots along Juja Road, with the public calling for Government action.

Mr Kibue said Al Shabaab militia could have been responsible for the attack. By the time of going to press, nobody had claimed responsibility though. The motive of the attack was not yet known either.

Mr Kibue said they suspect among the killed was the man who had the explosive matter.

“The damage was massive.”

This is the third such attack to happen in a week. The first one happened last week targeting a group of police officers near Liboi border in which eight people died. Another man died in Wajir Town on Friday night in an explosion at a market.

Share this story
Who will save Kenyans from guns and grenades?
In July this year, a 39-year-old Japanese contractor, Saturu Ogawa, was shot dead in a botched robbery in Port Reitz area at Changamwe, Mombasa County.
Diabetes: Insulin now an essential drug
Listing NCDs is a relief to Kenyans like 65-year-old Kahuho Mathai from Nyeri County, who was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure.

.
RECOMMENDED NEWS

;