Demolitions put off to December

By Kepher Otieno | Tuesday, Sep 4th 2018 at 23:16
Share this story:

Part of Dunga Nursing and Maternity home in Kisumu county that was brought down by county government bulldozers on December 16 2017 to pave way for road construction. The facility is said to be constructed along the road reserve. [Photo: Collins Oduor, Standard]

The planned demolition of structures built near wetlands in Kisumu County has been postponed.

Governor Anyang’ Nyong'o had announced plans to start bringing down all buildings standing on grabbed land or near wetlands.

Lands Executive Dickson Obungu said the demolitions had been put off until ongoing investigations by a task force on irregular land allocations were complete.

The task force chaired by retired chief John Ogone is investigating irregularly allocated land in the city dating back 10 years.

Others on the team are city manager Dorrice Ombara, Nick Migot, lawyers Kenneth Amondi and Iddris Omondi, Kennedy Hongo and Fredrick Onyango.

Mr Obungu told The Standard that the team was seeking answers to how some investors ended up being licensed to put up buildings on riparian land, road reserves and sewer lines.

He said the demolitions would begin start in December or early next year.

Share this story:

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU



Latest News

Latest

Trending Now