16th January, 2018
Two children have died in Siaya County after consuming cassava believed to be poisonous.
The incident happened Sunday night in Sirunga Village, Ambira Sub-Location in Ugunja Sub-County.
Margaret Akoth (3) and Allan Odhiambo (10) were rushed to Siaya County Referral Hospital and Bama Hospital respectively where they died.
They had eaten the cassava at lunch time.
According to the children’s father, Mr Peter Onyango Olanga, he had bought the cassava from a neighbour at Sh50 and prepared them for lunch for his five children aged between one and 11 years.
Mr Oluga said the children started vomiting and complaining of stomach ache at around 7pm.