NYS scam probe officer paid my cash bail
By Fred Makana | February 17th 2016
Some of the detectives investigating the National Youth Service (NYS) scam have been accused of attempting a cover-up.
In her sworn affidavit, one of the key suspects, Josephine Kabura Irungu, claims the head of Banking Fraud Investigation Department (BFID) Joseph Mugwanja paid her cash bail the day she was charged.
Ms Irungu claims that on November 18, 2015 when she took plea, the then Devolution Cabinet Secretary Anne Waiguru called her and inquired if she had money to pay for bail, to which she said she did not.
"She (Waiguru) advised that I don't go the first day. I appeared on Tuesday (November 24, 2015) where Mr Mugwanja personally provided the bail," Irungu says.
She alleges in the court papers that after taking plea, that evening Mugwanja and another officer, Matapei Sautet, came to her house to know if she was okay and informed her that the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission was going to carry out raids at a later date on all suspects' houses.
"Although Mugwanja guaranteed that there would not be a raid on my house, he requested if I had anything incriminating and that I should 'take care' of it. It is at this point that Mugwanja requested for the 'secure phone' since if found, it could trace back to Waiguru," Irungu claims.
She says considering the manner in which the investigating agencies had handled the matter, certain individuals were being shielded while others were being victimised. She says it is only her companies: Reinforced Concrete, Foam Home Builders, Roof and All Trading that were ever paid for supply and delivery of the road construction materials amounting to Sh791 million. "BFID has only questioned me about Sh695 million attempted fraud, which I have written a statement about but they have never taken my statement on Sh791 million, of which I have been charged," she says.
Irungu claims she has never been interrogated by EACC in connection with the Sh791 million worth of NYS contracts. She alleges that Mugwanja had been earlier introduced to her during a meeting by Waiguru as a close friend and a person she had worked with particularly during the exercise commissioned by her ministry sometimes back to track payroll payments for ghost workers.
Take a quick survey and help us improve our website!Take a survey
She says Mutahi Ngunyi advised Waiguru to do an official statement to cool down public anger as well as backdate a letter on the purportedly stolen password similar to the one that had been written earlier by an officer in the ICT Department.
Irungu says this was done ostensibly to pave way for Mugwanja to officially take charge of investigations and Waiguru to become the whistle-blower. "All those in attendance agreed that since the investigations were being conducted by EACC, it would be necessary to divert the attention of the officers. It was agreed that focus would be pegged to works worth about Sh695 million which had tried to be siphoned by Adan Harakhe (senior finance officer in the ministry) in order to avert many questions," she says.
Son of former Kisumu mayor found dead
- BBI reggae stopped
- NMS closes public toilets in Nairobi CBD
- Police officers found guilty of manslaughter plead for leniency
By Paul Ogemba
- BBI ruling: Ruto, other leaders react to shock decision
By Betty Njeru
- Man who helped ex-KDF officer dispose of kin bodies jailed for 5 years
By John Mbuthia