× Digital News Videos Health & Science Opinion Education Columnists Cartoons Lifestyle Moi Cabinets Arts & Culture Ramadhan Special Podcasts E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman Travelog TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
×

EACC to grill Anne Waiguru in fresh probe into the Sh791 million scandal over affidavit

COUNTIES
By Cyrus Ombati | February 17th 2016

The Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission has announced its intentions to grill former devolution Cabinet Secretary Anne Waiguru following fresh revelations on the Sh791 million scam.

This is after a main player in the saga Ms Josephine Kabura swore an affidavit implicating Waiguru and other people in the scam.

The commission, which had two weeks ago cleared Waiguru has come out saying they have launched a fresh probe into the saga.

“This is to confirm that we have started fresh probe on the allegations made in this affidavit and we will be summoning Ms Kabura and other persons of interest mentioned in her affidavit to assist in this fresh enquiry,” said EACC’s Kairichi Marimba.

The commission CEO Halakhe Waqo had on February 4 in an unsolicited letter told head of public service Joseph Kinyua to clear Ms Waiguru saying they had not established any evidence to warrant an adverse recommendation against her.

“So far our investigation has not established any evidence to warrant adverse recommendation against the former Cabinet Secretary Ms Anne Mumbi Waiguru,” said the letter.

The letter, dated February 4 2016, stated the commission had conducted investigations on various allegations touching on NYS and the ministry of devolution and national planning.

But after Ms Kabura’s affidavit came out amid criticism on EACC, a statement was issued requesting those with additional information on the matter to give it to the commission.

Take a quick survey and help us improve our website!

Take a survey

“We are aware this is a matter of great public interest and wish to assure the public that thorough investigations will be undertaken and or findings and recommendations forwarded to the Director of Public Prosecutions as provided in law.”

Waiguru has claimed she has never met her accuser in the National Youth Service scam Josephine Kabura.

She also denied she hatched a plot to siphon money from the National Youth Service (NYS) using phony companies.

Waiguru said the allegations contained in the affidavit sworn by Kabura who is facing charges in the Sh791 million fraud case are malicious and only meant to soil her reputation.

“This is clearly intended to malign my name. Why is she coming out now. I have never met Josephine Kabura in my life,” she said.

Kabura has sworn an affidavit and lodged it in court placing Waiguru at the centre of the scandal.

She said there were night meetings allegedly convened by Waiguru at her Runda home, with names of key players- including those who benefited from the alleged rip-off.

Kabura says that, prior to the Sh791 million contract, Waiguru had assisted her to "secure other contracts, with about 30 LPOs for my other companies, at NYS, with a value in excess of Sh400 million.

Waiguru had resigned from office on November 22 following pressure from various quarters over the NYS saga in which Sh791 million was allegedly stolen.

Both police and EACC were investigating the Sh791 million fraud.

The agencies were investigating the loss of the Sh791 million and conspiracy to steal Sh695 million.

In the NYS saga, more than 20 people have been charged with various offences.

The dealings came to light after the Central Bank raised the red flag over huge sums of money paid to private companies by the NYS.

Among those charged over the saga include former NYS boss Nelson Githinji and planning PS Peter Mangiti.

The theft at NYS, initially denied by his government, has dented the it’s image.

It has affected various parties including Family Bank staff who are now under probe.

The Asset Recovery Agency has initiated asset recovery proceedings on eight people in respect of the stolen funds and attached cash and property valued at Sh580 million.

Share this story
City police chiefs among 300 officers moved in changes affecting OCS’
All the 13 OCSs have been moved from Nairobi in changes announced by police headquarters.
I eagerly await my baby's first steps
Spina Bifida, and though rare in the general population, it is the most common neural tube defect in the world

.
RECOMMENDED NEWS

Feedback