Vacancy No: CGHR/189/02/21
Program description: The Malaria Vaccine Implementation Program (MVIP) Evaluation in Kenya is a collaboration between the Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, USA (CDC). The vaccine will be implemented by the National Vaccines and Immunizations Program (NVIP) in moderate to high malaria transmission settings in eight counties in Western Kenya: Bungoma, Busia, Homa Bay, Kakamega, Kisumu, Migori, Siaya, and Vihiga. The primary objective of this evaluation is to estimate the effect of the routine delivery of RTS,S/AS01 on all-cause mortality in children aged 5-48 months. Secondary study objectives include evaluation of the safety and feasibility of vaccine implementation in this setting. The Malaria Branch has a vacancy for Field/Community Interviewer in the Malaria Vaccine Pilot Evaluation study;
NO OF POSITION: Twenty (20) positions KMR 10
LOCATION: Kisumu, Siaya, Homabay, Migori, Vihiga, Kakamega, Bungoma and Busia
REPORTING: Field Supervisor
- Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education with a minimum grade of D plus
- At least Two years interviewing experience in community-based research set up
- Must be computer literate with skills in basic application packages
- Fluency in English and Swahili, written and spoken, with fluency in the local language spoken (Luhya, Teso and Luo) in the study area.
- Have valid Human Subject or Good Clinical Practice Certificate
- Be able to work sensitively with grief stricken participants
- Be willing to offer counselling to grieved participant when needed
- Ability or willingness to learn to ride and maintain a motor cycles
- Have good understanding of the structure and functioning of the Ministry of health and specifically community strategy
- Be a resident of the study area or be willing to reside in study site
Skills, knowledge and Abilities
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and be a team player
- Ability to perform and willingness to learn basic motorcycle maintenance and troubleshoot common motorcycle mechanical problems.Job Description
The community interviewers (VA) will report to Field Supervisor and will be responsible for collecting timely and accurate data in his or her assigned County/sub county.
Specific tasks and responsibilities:
The community interviewers’ responsibilities shall include and not limited to the following:
- Maintain regular contact with the field supervisor to receive VA interview assignments, update work status and to submit electronic VA interview data.
- Be able to resolve all data queries in a timely and effective manner
- Ensure that they have an adequate supply of the required materials to conduct VA interviews
- Contact the interviewees, identify the best respondents, arrange the best time, and place for the conduction of the VA interviews.
- Obtain informed consents from the respondents for the VA interviews, and conduct the interviews in a sensitive and ethical manner.
- Keep an up-to-date logbook of all VA interviews that have been assigned and conducted
- Develop work schedule of households to be visited daily
- Discuss and solve any problems and challenges encountered with the supervisor
- Ensure all forms are filled in the field while conducting the interviews
- Attend all study meetings and report on progress of work
- Be courteous, respectful, proactive, conscientious, punctual and hardworking
- Be a team player
- Complete any other duties assigned or delegated by the management
Applications MUST include the following:
- Letter of Application (Indicate Vacancy Number & Preferred Sub-county)
- Current Curriculum Vitae with telephone number and e-mail address
- Letters of reference from your referees
- Copies of Certificates and transcripts
Terms of Employment:
- One (1) year renewable contract as per KEMRI scheme of service. Probation period for the first 3 months.
- Salary negotiable within the appropriate grade depending on education, experience and demonstrated competency.
Applications MUST include the following:
Other MORE JOBS jobs that you might like