UNDERSTANDING CANADA PROGRAMS AT THE FOUNDATION
The Foundation has begun working within Canada in partnership with Indigenous communities and post-secondary institutions to listen, learn, and best understand how we can act in meaningful ways. The EleV strategy was co-created with Indigenous communities, young people, and partners to enable 30,000 Indigenous youth to complete their education and transition to dignified work aligned with their values and aspirations.
As reflected in Canada’s Truth and Reconciliation Commission Calls to Action, education is a key driver of improved socio-economic well-being. Through building partnerships with Indigenous communities, we look to expand our initiative ultimately helping to support a generation of transformative Indigenous young leaders who will be change agents within their communities. We believe that by setting a bold target, we will encourage engagement across sectors and create momentum that will elevate the strengths and opportunities of Indigenous youth. In keeping with our approach, Indigenous communities and young people will be the drivers of this transformation. The program will promote innovations to address longer-term systemic change to achieve economic prosperity and social well-being within Indigenous communities.
The EleV team oversees current and emerging partnerships related to Indigenous education. Consistent with our overall vision and Youth Africa Works strategy, we will share learnings and opportunities to connect across the work of the Foundation. While operating in distinct contexts, the centrality of youth voice and vision, affirmation of culture and identity, and priority to enhance community capacity for self-determination are common threads upon which our work is strengthened and reinforced.
If you are an experienced people and culture business partner professional looking to increase your impact, read on!
Reporting to the Chief People and Culture Officer (CHRO), the role will be accountable for the People and Culture agenda in the region. They do this by:
- working as trusted advisors to the leadership team in the region, enabling achievement of the region’s business strategic plan,
- partnering closely with P&C BPs and P&C subject matter experts to design strategies, programs and initiatives that are aligned to business objectives and reflect values aligned people best practices.
- providing hands-on P&C support for Foundation staff based in the region
- ensuring that the P&C agenda for the region is achieved.
The successful candidate will be based in any of these offices – Rwanda, Ethiopia, Uganda or Kenya..
WAYS YOU CAN CONTRIBUTE
- Contribute to the creation of the Human Resources function strategy in close collaboration with CHRO and the HR team.
- Recommend, co-design and participate in shaping all HR Functional Practice areas, influencing the work of the P&C Centers of Excellence (COE).
- Leverage networks and experience to bring new ideas and best practice to the fore as we design the future.
- Partner with the regional teams to develop regional and country strategies and plans aligned to overarching Foundation goals.
- Work with regional executives and teams to advance the business from a People and Culture perspective.
- Partner with the regional teams to assess gaps and determine functional operating capacity and capability to achieve business strategy.
- Develop people budgets aligned the region’s business strategy and ensure delivery within employment budgets.
- Lead the implementation of all reward programs, processes, and plans for the region.
- Partner with other P&C BPs to operationalize the P&C operating model.
- Develop routines and ways of working that fulfil effective, efficient and consistent delivery of the P&C agenda in the region and countries.
- Co-create with other P&C BPs and COE, the development of programs and plans e.g. employee engagement, leadership development, onboarding, etc then lead the delivery and embedding of same in the region.
- Collaborate to support the implementation of other emerging/ urgent P&C priorities and programs in the region.
- Lead the implementation/ review and embedding of HR processes for consistent P&C client satisfaction across all the regions.
- Provide advisory services with regards to P&C practices and policies, including labor relations, reward, employee well-being and culture ensuring that country nuances are accurately reflected in all actions taken in the region
- Partner with HR Operations to ensure the delivery of effective and efficient services (e.g. P&C analytics, data, reporting, policy and procedures formulation, systems and processes) to all leaders and staff in the region.
- Lead performance and productivity initiatives that are aligned to country/ regional strategies and priorities, implementing plans and initiatives to drive a culture of high performance.
- Support and build people leader capabilities to drive a performance-driven culture – coaching, counselling, managing high and low performers.
- Provide insights on performance approaches, processes and tools to achieve regional goals.
- Partner with the business and P&C COE to deliver organization design that achieves business strategy.
- Facilitate organizational (re)design including defining new/revised organizations and operating models, determining accountabilities and responsibilities, job descriptions and leading operational effectiveness processes and routines (e.g., RACI, process reviews, oneness initiatives).
- Partner with the business and P&C COE to design and lead the implementation of functional end to end transformation
- Perform assessment of change, support research?, build change and communications plans.
- Lead the execution of change, interfacing with business stakeholders and ensuring alignment.
- Develop programs that support leaders, managers and employees to live the values and adopt behaviors that support an engaged workforce.
- Develop great relationships with employees at all levels to support a high level of employee engagement.
- Partner with P&C COE to determine functional talent management interventions to fulfill functional strategic objectives in the region.
- Partner with the Talent Acquisition team and the business to design resourcing strategies, plans and processes for all talent acquisition efforts in the region.
- Lead talent management programs for region: e.g. talent reviews, talent, succession & scenario planning and functional talent management interventions.
- Partner with P&C COE to design and implement functional, leadership and management.
WHO YOU ARE
- Post Graduate degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or a related field and/or a combination of relevant experience and education is required.
- 10 – 15 years of progressive HR experience serving in strategically focused roles. Senior level experience as a Human Resources Business Partner is a must. Global experience is an asset.
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience leading and managing a team with the proven ability to motivate and energize others.
- Extensive knowledge of regional employment legislation.
- Solid knowledge of most people and culture processes and best practices.
- A strong professional network is an advantage.
- Good knowledge of immigration and relocation practices.
- Willingness to take initiative, “roll up one’s sleeves” move with urgency, persistence and speed, and thrive in a fast-paced environment of high demand and change.
- Able to navigate a complex organization in transition, bringing a flexible attitude and a growth mindset.
- Able to bring creative new approaches and diverse solutions. Willing to take calculated risks to influence the adoption of fresh ideas and approaches.
- Strong employee focus with superior collaboration and interpersonal skills.
- Sound business acumen.
- Well-developed analytical, conceptual and strategic-thinking skills.
- Strong judgement, consulting, facilitation and negotiation skills.
- Comfortable with all forms of technology.
- Flexible, adaptable, and able to execute a range of job duties and changing priorities.
- Possess excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills with the ability to articulate information to a variety of constituents across cultures.
- Possess professional maturity, sensitivity with different cultures, and impeccable integrity that exemplify the Foundation’s values.
- Demonstrate a commitment to Mastercard Foundation’s values and vision.