Purpose of the role:
The Health Systems Strengthening (HSS) Manager will lead the implementation of the key HSS components of FHF Kenya Program. He/she will be tasked with improving the administrative, managerial, and operational capacity of national and county health systems across FHF projects.
The Health Systems Strengthening Manager will assess current managerial and operational efficiencies at the national and county level to develop an action plan for improvements. Emphasis will be placed on health leadership and governance, health systems financing, health information system, commodities and supplies, eye health system efficiency and human resources for eye health
The Health Systems Strengthening Manager will coordinate and work with a diverse group of organizations, including the Kenyan Ministry of Health at national and county level, county executives, county health staff, international and national development partner organizations & civil society at national, county and community level to realize FHF’s long term outcomes.
• Technical areas: strengthening public health
service delivery programs, partner technical
Support and capacity building, advocacy, health
• Experience with a mix of practical technical skills
necessary for strengthening health systems at the
county, national, and community levels.
• Excellent knowledge of national/county/communitylevel issues impacting health systems
• Demonstrated capacity to build and maintain
productive working relationships with a wide
network of partners and stakeholders.
• Superior presentation skills (both written and oral)
and ability to communicate technical materials to a
mix of audiences and for differing purposes using
print, electronic, and presentation media.
• Maturity, High degree of integrity and
• Interpersonal and intercultural sensitivity
• Must have strong oral and written communication
and presentation skills in English.
• Conceptual, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
Financial and Resource Management
• Identify and develop opportunities for Health Systems
Strengthening grant acquisition.
• Excellent report writing skills and donor relations.
•Provide technical support to national level decision
makers on financial resource planning.
Advocacy and Representation
•Develop presentations for national and international
level fora on Health Systems Strengthening and financial
protection for sharing with donor and partners.
• Technical support to FHF Kenya staff partners on
lobbying/advocacy for integration of eye health into
social protection schemes.
•Develop and expand networks to strengthen public
health financing for eye health.
• Master’s degree in international development,
public health, Social Sciences, International
Development, health economics or related field.
• A post graduate qualification in Health Systems
Management, public policy, or related fields.
• Minimum of 8 years significant work experience
in health systems strengthening, health
economics, or related fields in the context of low
resource settings in a reputable NGO
• Demonstrable knowledge of national and county
health systems and policy development.
• Ability to cultivate, develop and maintain good
relationships with the county government
• Substantial understanding of economic policies,
HSS structures with proven experience
interacting with governments, non-governmental
organizations, donors and/or the private sector
including excellent diplomacy and cross-cultural
Key responsibilities include
• Lead implementation of the HSS components across all FHFK projects, with particular attention to the Health Financing, Stronger Systems, and Health Workforce Projects
• In conjunction with the FHF technical staff, support relevant sectors of the national Ministry of Health and County health facilities in undertaking HSS capacity assessments gap analysis, setting priorities, and developing and implementing capacity strengthening plans with clear milestones
• Provide technical support to build the capacity of national and county health leadership in key health system
strengthening functions, including policy, planning, health care financing and budgeting, advocacy, and resource mobilization
• Working in close coordination with the Project Coordinator, provide technical support for the health financing project to increase capacity of the public health systems to sustainably deliver and increase the use of affordable self-sustaining models of eye health services, especially for women, girls, the poor and rural populations.
• In collaboration with the Policy and Advocacy Manager, support national and county level advocacy targeting key decision makers to advance implementation of WHO Integrated People Centred Eye Care to strengthen community focused programs
• Provide technical assistance to ensure that national policies and procedures for public health financing are integrated at all levels of the health system
• Support the development and promotion of linkages to enable project and staff to learn from one another, discuss common challenges, seek/offer assistance, and share best practices at country and cluster level.
• Produce and present HSS papers at local, regional, and international forums to share experiences and best practices
• Identify and advise on opportunities for HSS grants acquisition and lead in project design and resource planning
• Manage relationships and maintain FHFK’s position within strategic fora such as technical forums, working groups, health advocacy platform, HENNET, KHF, etc