We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, nearly 60% of adults in sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
We're looking for someone entrepreneurial to help Wave launch credit products across our current and new markets. You'll be responsible for securing licenses or partnering with a licensed institution to help launch this product, build a roadmap across markets, and grow a team. We're looking for someone who has an excellent track record in launching and/or scaling a credit business across Africa or launching new businesses.
In this role, you'll:
- Help Wave launch a lending product in a current operating market by securing a license or by partnering with a licensed lending institution.
- Build Wave's lending strategy across Africa, including
- selecting the type of credit product (overdraft, SMB, buy now pay later)
- prioritizing the roll-out across existing and new markets based on licensing and other market factors
- developing a tailored strategy for each current and future market and working with external (banks, regulators) and internal stakeholders (biz dev, product & engineering, financing & compliance) to bring this product to market
- Build out Wave's credit teams across multiple countries, including identifying the optimal structure, hiring the individuals needed, and leading the team as Wave grows into new markets
- Keep a pulse on digital credit across Africa.
- Lead by living Wave's values, and ensure they're deeply ingrained within your team
- Remote position and can work remotely from anywhere (between UTC -8 and +4) with reliable Internet access
- 50% travel required. You'll work closely with teams in the country to troubleshoot and escalate, making travel a constant requirement.
- Our team meets in Senegal or Cote d'Ivoire every four months for retreats, which are one week in length. Wave covers all costs associated with travel.
- Our salaries are competitive and calculated using a transparent formula.
- Subsidized health insurance for you and your dependents and retirement contributions (both vary from country to country)
- Six months fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance.
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- 6+ years experience in fintech. Launched and scaled a credit product previously and secured licenses in Africa to support the credit product
- Experience working in the mobile money sector
- Excellent leadership skills. You have led a team of at least five people at a global company.
- Fluent in English. Bonus points, if also a fluent French speaker
- Robust communication and stakeholder management skills
- Willing to work hours that match a GMT timezone (to facilitate collaboration with colleagues in Africa)
You might be a good fit if you
- Slow-moving processes or partners frustrate you, but you're inclined to lean into the problem and push however you can rather than accept a slow pace.
- A clear and proactive communicator, you can independently follow through on tasks and can manage priorities effectively.
- You know how to navigate working with senior partners and stakeholders by spotting and seizing upon mutually beneficial opportunities.
- Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth
- Demonstrate tenacity and a willingness to go the distance to get something done
- Well organized and can manage competing priorities.
- You can quickly learn regulatory requirements and prioritize paths to meeting them.
- You're enthusiastic about Wave's mission and excited to do what needs to be done to achieve it.
Other Accounting, Busines Management And Administration jobs that you might like
Browse All in Accounting, Busines Management And Administration