About the company...
Motorcycle taxis are immensely popular and serve as the lifeblood of many cities in Africa, but they are extremely unsafe and disorganized. At the click of a button, the company provides a safe, more convenient, mobile-first transportation platform for Africa’s booming young population. On the high-frequency use of their transportation service, the company is providing value to consumers, our drivers, and passengers, with additional financial services, payments, and other on-demand services such as food and grocery delivery to keep Africa moving forward.
Based in Uganda, Kenya and Nigeria, they are a venture-funded Series B company that is already having a huge impact on millions of people in Africa. They have a passionate and highly engaged team based in East and West Africa and are looking to quickly grow it to speed-up the organization’s growth and make sure they can revolutionize transportation, on-demand services and payments in Africa’s cities.
They are always trying to work with the latest technology are obsessed with the user experience. They follow agile methodologies in a team split into 3 main products: Mobile Apps for drivers, passengers, and partners (merchants, agents & vendors), and a Company Admin Portal.
Candidates based in Uganda/Kenya/Nigeria are encouraged to applied. Location is flexible.
- You will participate as a senior developer in all phases of the software development lifecycle, from design, implementation, documentation, & testing.
- You will determine and design system specifications & standards.
- You will investigate, analyze, and make recommendations to management regarding technology improvements, upgrades, and modifications.
- You will develop features across multiple subsystems including collaboration in requirements definition, prototyping, design, coding, testing, and deployment.
- You will mentor more junior teammates on best practices and troubleshooting.
- You will assist in the collection and documentation of user requirements, development of user stories, and estimates.
- You will design, develop, and unit test applications in accordance with established standards.
- You will analyze and resolve technical and application problems.
- You will package and support the deployment of releases.
Desired Technical Skills
- Strong knowledge of the back-end technical stack, (Database, and backend services), proven by years of software development experience.
- Experience with distributed systems, architectural patterns/styles, design patterns.
- +3 years of experience in Elixir (or Erlang), particularly using OTP.
- Solid understanding of OTP and BEAM
- Desirable experience with Phoenix, Plug, and Ecto.
- SQL and NoSQL knowledge
- Demonstrated experience producing readable and testable code
- Have extensive experience working hands-on in an agile environment
- Care about quality and know what it means to ship high-quality code
- Familiarity with continuous integration
Desired Personal Skills
- Critical thought, analytical thinking, and good communication skills
- Capacity to work with members of the team working in different countries
- Good organizational and time management abilities
- Great attention to detail and a results-driven approach
- Willing to go above and beyond; we would like someone who wants everything under control and wants to try all the different possibilities that can happen
- An attitude of accountability and knowledge-sharing. You enjoy reviewing others' code and sharing your knowledge
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- Empathy, respect, and a big sense of humor; we are people before engineers
- English communication skills
- Remote working
- A passionate, inspirational and aspirational team→ Teamwork is in our core values
- Grow yourself, learning is a habit. We empower people and we want you to grow with us. Tell us the areas you wish to improve in and if it makes sense for the business, we'll do what we can to help you do just that
- Flexible work hours - Pretty ﬂexible when it comes to managing workload and time. It's about delivery!
- Be part of a passionate team that is changing the mobility landscape in Africa and it's improving millions of lives
- Opportunity to travel to East Africa and interact with the product and our multi-cultural team
Other IT jobs that you might like
Browse All in IT