We are looking for a dedicated freelance Content Writer to join our editorial team and enrich our financial literacy platform with new blog posts, articles, guides, product descriptions, and marketing copy.
The ideal candidate can write creative pieces on personal finance management and how people relate to their money, create easy-to-digest analyses of recent Kenyan business news and financial products, and/or create long-form product guides to help people understand all of the nuances around a financial product in one place.
As a Financial Writer, you will create informative and engaging content to make complex concepts easy to understand for our mass-market Kenyan audience.
This is an opportunity within an early-stage, venture-backed business. You will be joining us at a time when our articles with bylines are reaching over 100,000 Kenyans per month, an excellent opportunity to grow your portfolio.
As the company grows, the role holder will have opportunities to pursue and lead different aspects of our expanding content repertoire.
This is a remote opportunity. When applying, please submit a writing sample alongside your CV and Cover Letter in one PDF document.
- You must be able to commit to a minimum of two 1000-word articles per month to be published on Money254.co.ke (more is highly encouraged).
- Interpret content briefs provided by the Managing Editor to produce clear, compelling content
- Research industry-related topics and translate research into various article types including long-form informational pieces and edutainment pieces depending on the requirements of the content plan
- Conduct, where necessary, interviews with appropriate stakeholders to better inform articles
- Identify customers’ needs and gaps in our content and recommend new topics
- Maintain an in-depth understanding of the financial industry to deliver confident writing at multiple levels of sophistication.
- Turn complex ideas into simple, informative text whilst maintaining the Money254 brand voice
- Produce quality and fact-filled content that can both inform and engage our growing customer base.
Your Background and Interests:
- You have a proven record of excellent writing demonstrated in a professional portfolio. Proven years of writing experience in the finance sector is desirable.
- You have a unique, engaging, and varied writing style with good proofreading and research skills.
- You have the ability to work independently with little or no daily supervision
- You are well versed in a wide range of financial products in Kenya and ability to describe financial markets, and products in clear, direct language.
- You have the ability to adjust tone and message to audiences across the spectrum of financial sophistication in Kenya
- Familiarity with Google Docs and anti-plagiarism tools such as Copyscape is preferred
- A strong commitment to maintaining a high level of editorial standards and integrity is essential. Money254 is generating original content to help Kenyans understand and interact with their money - we do not accept plagiarised articles.
- You are intrinsically motivated by our mission to help Kenyans make the most of the money they have and are empathetically aware of the challenges many have getting access to and managing their personal finances today.
- You are a self-starter with a bias for action and are happy working autonomously while also contributing to and working within a growing internal Money254 team.
- You are fluent in Kiswahili and comfortable with other dominant languages present in Kenya.
- You believe in our mission and internal team values.
Other Media Technology jobs that you might like
Browse All in Media Technology