JOB GROUP KMR 1
The Director General will be reporting to the Board of Directors.
Terms of Service: The Director-General shall hold office for a term of three (3) years but shall be eligible for re-appointment for one further term of three (3) years.
The duties and responsibilities for the Director General/Chief Executive Officer will entail:-
- Provide strategic leadership in accordance with the mandate of KEMRI;
- Official spokesperson of the organization and responsible for stakeholder management and the enhancement of the corporate image of the organization;
- Responsible for the execution and communication of the Board’s strategies, decision and policies;
- Manage the budget of the Institute and ensure that its funds are properly expended and accounted for;
- The Principal executor of all KEMRI contracts;
- Ensure Development and implementation of an effective performance management system;
- Provide regular, thorough and prompt communication to the Board of Directors on key technical, financial and administrative matters;
- Ensure that the organization has effective management structure including succession plan;
- Provide leadership and vision to the organization by assisting the Board of Directors and staff with the development of the Strategic Plan, budgets and annual work plans;
- Manage the day to day affairs and transactions of the Board of Directors and coordinating the operations and administrative functions of the Institute;
- Lead, oversee and ensure the implementation in the Institute, of applicable Research standards in Kenya;
- Oversee the activities of the Institute’s resources and ensure they are optimally utilized and fully accounted for in line with existing laws and regulations;
- Provide Guidance and spearhead research activities in the Institute in line with the best research practices globally;
- Foster and maintain a conducive work environment, and enhance corporate culture that promotes ethical practices and good corporate governance; and
- Maintain effective collaboration and partnerships with organs of Government and Government agencies, county Governments, international organizations, private sector,
- non-governmental organizations and other Stakeholders.
The requirements for appointment to this position, a candidate must have:-
- Bachelors Degree in a health related field, finance or audit, business management, economics, law or any other relevant field from a recognized institution;
- Masters Degree in a health-related field, finance or audit, business management, economics, law or any other relevant field from a recognized institution;
- At least ten (10) years working experience in a senior management position in either the private or public sector;
- PhD Degree in a health-related field, finance or audit, business management, economics, law or any other relevant field from a recognized institution will be an added advantage;
- Research experience in medical or related field for at least ten (10) years will be an added advantage;
- Fulfilled the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution.
Key Skills and Competencies
Strong analytical skills;
Strategic and innovative thinking;
Ability to mobilize resources;
Financial management and budgeting;
Analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills;
Strong interpersonal skills;
Proficiency in IT applications;
Strong leadership skills; and
The following will be required during the interviews:- Certificate of good conduct, Higher Education Loans Board compliance certificate, KRA Tax compliance certificate, Credit Reference Bureau clearance certificate, Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission Clearance.
Method of Application
Interested candidates should submit their applications enclosing a detailed CV, copies of academic and professional certificates, email address, a day time telephone contact and details and contact information for three referees to the following address, not later than 5th October, 2021 to: -
Board of Directors
Kenya Medical Research Institute,
P. O. Box 54840 00200, NAIROBI
KEMRI is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity. Persons with disability, women, youth and those from marginalized areas are encouraged to apply.
Please visit the KEMRI web site www.kemri.org for more details on the advertisement and application process.
For hard copy submissions please write the Position applied for on the envelope and in the subject line of the Application letter. Online submissions can be done via the recruitment portal within the website
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Other Public Service And State Agencies jobs that you might like
Browse All in Public Service And State Agencies