About Evidence Action
Our organization was founded in 2013 to address a big gap in the fight against global poverty–many of the most promising interventions are either implemented at a very small scale, or not at all. We set out to address this gap by building programs that would scale evidence-based and cost-effective interventions, leading to significant improvements in quality of life for hundreds of millions of people.
Our model worked. In less than a decade, our two flagship programs, the Deworm the World Initiative and Dispensers for Safe Water, have grown to measurably impact over 280 million people each year. This success is achieved through the dedication and talent of our staff, the hard work of our partners, and the commitment of our supporters.
By 2024, we seek to double our impact. We are strengthening and expanding our existing programs, and working to identify a new generation of evidence-based and cost-effective interventions that we can scale to reach millions more.
Senior. Associate, Communications
*** This position is open to Kenyan Nationals
Evidence Action is looking for an experienced creative and communications expert with strong graphic design, photography, and video skills. The person hired for this role will share their time supporting our work in the Africa region and our global office. The position is temporarily remote, but will be based in Nairobi, Kenya once the conditions allow for it. The person hired for this role will be a member of Evidence Action’s External Relations team, reporting to the Senior Manager of Communications based in Washington, D.C.
PS. Applications that do not include the candidates portfolio will not be considered
Duties and responsibilities
- Design data-driven infographics in multiple formats.
- Design visual explanatory charts and illustrations of complex technical content.
- Design visual narratives to explain the impact of our interventions.
- Design content for social media.
- Collaborate with team members and consultants with the graphic design, photography, and video production for landing pages, blogs, and other communications products.
- Coordinate with Evidence Action staff across country offices in Kenya, Uganda, Malawi, Nigeria, Liberia to source human-interest stories.
- Investigate, report, and produce stories in video, photography, or illustration from across all of our programs in the Africa region.
- Provide video/photography and media training to staff across country offices.
- Identify placement opportunities for stories in local media for the Africa region.
- Written and spoken communication skills in English. Fluency of other regional languages spoken in Kenya, Malawi, Uganda, Nigeria, or Liberia is a plus.
- Legal ability to work in Kenya is required.
- Strong graphic design skills, with demonstrated ability to generate high quality content for a range of technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to translate complex issues into smart and stunning visuals. Familiarity with data visualization and geographic information systems (GIS) are a plus.
- At least 4 years of experience with Adobe Creative Suite of tools like Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Premiere.
- Experience with video production and recording. Video editing skills are a plus.
- Experience with photography and editing.
- Interest in the world of evidence-based research, program implementation and policy.
- Adaptable, self-motivated, inquisitive, and a team player who is interested in being part of a fast-paced, growing and diverse team with a start-up atmosphere.
- Detail oriented with demonstrated ability to multitask and meet short deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience as a graphic designer, visual journalist, or data journalist for a development organization, institution of higher education, research center, and/or media organization would be ideal.
- Video production, recording, and editing experience are a plus.
- Photography experience is a plus.
- Previous connections in local media is a plus.
- Journalism experience is a plus.
- Familiarity with data visualization and Geographic Information Systems are a plus.
Work in close coordination with Africa region country offices and remotely with the External Relations team based in the US office. Occasional meetings late in the evening/early morning to adapt to US/Australia schedules when conducting team meetings. Occasional travel to other country offices/US office.
The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya and will work closely with the External Relations team remotely.
This position reports directly to Sr. Communications Manager of Communications and will work in close collaboration with the team based in the Kenya country office.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Evidence Action does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Other Media Technology jobs that you might like
Browse All in Media Technology