IDinsight is seeking a creative, enthusiastic full-time designer to join our Strategic Communications team. You will work closely with our project teams and communications team to develop captivating visual content showcasing both our internal and external communications deliverables. In this role, you will work with teams to create content and develop systems, templates and guidelines that will allow teams to produce content on their own. You will manage image databases as well as other graphic design elements to make them easily accessible for teams within the organisation.
We amplify social impact by partnering with leaders to develop tailored solutions. Our mission is to use data and evidence to help leaders combat poverty worldwide.
IDinsight is a mission-driven global advisory, data analytics, and research organization that helps global development leaders maximize their social impact. We tailor a wide range of data and evidence tools, including randomized evaluations and machine learning, to help decision-makers design effective programs and rigorously test what works to support communities. We work with governments, multilateral agencies, foundations, and innovative non-profit organizations in Asia and Africa. Our work spans a wide range of sectors, including agriculture, education, health, governance, sanitation, financial inclusion, and other areas.
We have expertise in a variety of rigorous approaches and methodologies, which we tailor to each client depending on their needs and constraints. To achieve a positive social impact we:
- Support clients’ use of data and evidence for routine and major decision-making.
- Inform funding decisions – toward high-impact initiatives and away from less effective programs or approaches.
- Create and share tools, knowledge, and ideas that expand the use of data and evidence for social good.
Our diverse, growing team of roughly 180 outstanding colleagues operate in nearly two dozen countries around the world. Learn more about our mission and values at www.IDinsight.org.
About the Designer role
The Designer will be responsible for helping IDinsight ensure clear visual brand identity and consistent “look” and “feel” across all of its outputs. The Designer will both create content and work with teams to put systems in place that enable decentralized creation of outputs across regions. Among other responsibilities, the Designer will work with team members to produce visually compelling and highly engaging reports, presentations, infographics, and other content for both print and digital uses.
The tasks assigned to this role include:
Design high-quality outputs:
- Provide IDinsight team members with creative support to design visually compelling presentations, proposals, and reports for internal and external use.
- Assist client-facing teams to create graphics that represent complex concepts, which may include illustrations
- Develop high quality and creative designs for social media campaigns, newsletters, and the IDeas blog
- Customize campaign toolkits, Powerpoint and Word templates, and social media templates in accordance with existing brand guidelines, ensuring all IDinsight documents are consistent
- Manage external third-party design and other consultants to ensure all collateral aligns with IDinsight’s visual identity.
- Ensure excellent visual execution, including light proofreading to ensure quality control
Create systems and resources:
- Enable teams to create their own high-quality, consistent content by developing systems, templates, training, and guidelines for team members across regions.
- Promote, enhance, and protect IDinsight’s brand integrity by ensuring a consistent visual identity that aligns with our brand guidelines.
- Identify, source, and manage image databases as well as other graphic design elements that enhance the visual appeal of our communications and are easy for teams to access and use.
Graphic design experience
- Mastery of design software and technologies (such as InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Canva)
- Intimate knowledge of presentation programs such as PowerPoint, Google Slides, Prezi and Keynote
- Demonstrable graphic designing experience: a strong portfolio of illustrations or other graphics
- Familiarity with (Adobe) video &/or audio editing software a plus
- A keen design eye for aesthetics and details
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience as a graphics designer
Skills, mindsets, and behaviours
- Ability to work within stipulated brand guidelines without compromising
- Ability to work under pressure and handle a wide range of tasks and projects at the same time and to work methodically and meet deadlines
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Strong knowledge of English, written and spoken
- Excellent communication skills
- Understanding of global development and research and evaluation fields a plus
Skill and career development are core to IDinsight's values and long-term impact strategy, and have been noted highlights of teammates’ experiences. IDinsighters receive significant mentorship from IDinsight leadership, support from talented peers, and are given considerable autonomy when ready. They maintain professional development plans and are given "stretch" opportunities designed to strengthen a variety of skills. Real-time feedback is embedded in our culture and formal structure enables maximum professional growth. Additionally, teammates have access to an annual professional development stipend that they are encouraged to utilize to explore their career interests and develop their skills.
Nuts & bolts
This position is based in IDinsight’s Nairobi, Kenya office. Preference will be given to those with pre-existing work authorization in Kenya; however, IDInsight will seek work permits where possible for exceptional candidates.
The start date of this position is flexible, with preference for candidates that can start immediately. We expect a two-year minimum commitment, with regular professional development conversations and potential for a long-term career at IDinsight.
Dinsight is able to sponsor employment visas for all nationalities in these locations; however, we will prioritize candidates who do not require IDinsight to sponsor work authorization in the aforementioned countries. All candidates who are not currently located in our country offices listed above will be expected to relocate to their office locations at the onset of their employment.
Compensation and benefits are commensurate with the qualifications and experiences IDinsight is hiring for, and competitive within the global development sector. We are especially proud of the people-focused benefits we offer including comprehensive international health insurance, including mental health coverage; paid vacation, sick, and parental leave; relocation benefits; a travel stipend; technology and work from home stipends; a professional development budget; and more.
Please note, as a non-profit, we are unable to provide compensation similar to leading private sector organizations.
How to apply
Please click the "Apply for this job online" button at the top right. Applications are due on 1 October 2021. The application asks various questions in order for us to get to know you, and requires a CV, cover letter, and design portfolio.
Please ensure that your CV includes relevant professional and personal experience as well as details on academic qualifications. CVs can range from one to two pages. Please note, headshot photographs, parental details, birth dates, marital status and other personal information not relevant to the application do not need to be included in your CV. Additionally, we strongly encourage you to use your cover letter to highlight why you want to work for IDinsight specifically, and what has prepared you to succeed in the role you’re applying for. A customized cover letter is an important part of IDinsight’s recruiting process as it allows us to understand your motivations for the position, relevant skills, and clarity of writing.
More information, including details on IDinsight’s hiring process and frequently asked questions, can be found online at IDinsight Careers. Any questions should be directed to careers@IDinsight.org.
IDinsight’s commitment to reducing power asymmetries
IDinsight is committed to reducing power asymmetries in the social sector. Our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion reflects our understanding of the need for the sector to abandon unhealthy practices of the past. We wish to be part of a new generation of international NGOs who are honest about this history and transparent about our role in the present. Our commitment is also aligned with the impact of our work.
We seek a workforce that is inclusive of a variety of perspectives that will help us refine and improve our methods and relationships, and strengthen the services we provide our clients and their communities or constituencies. The following commitments represent our vision for the IDinsight team:
IDinsight will have greater representation from the populations with whom we work and clients we serve.
IDinsight will have greater representation from the countries in which we work.
Across all countries in which we recruit, we will seek greater representation from historically excluded communities.
IDinsight will foster an inclusive work culture that empowers a diverse team to do their best work.
IDinsight is an equal opportunity employer and strives to create a diverse and supportive workplace.
Other Media Technology jobs that you might like
Browse All in Media Technology