Center Background: The Center for Reproductive Rights (the Center) is the premier global litigation and legal policy organization using the power of law to advance reproductive rights as fundamental human rights around the world. Headquartered in New York City, the non-profit, non-partisan organization has regional offices in Bogota, Geneva, Kathmandu, Nairobi, and Washington, DC; and, a staff of approximately 200 diverse professionals.
The Center's game-changing litigation and advocacy work, combined with its unparalleled expertise in constitutional, comparative, and international human rights law, have transformed how reproductive rights are understood by courts, governments, and human rights bodies worldwide. It has played a key role in securing landmark legal victories in Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe, Latin America, and the United States on issues including access to life-saving obstetrics care, contraception, safe abortion services, and comprehensive sexuality information, as well as the prevention of forced sterilization and child marriage. It has brought groundbreaking cases before national courts, U.N. Committees, and regional human rights bodies, led the development of historic, proactive legislation advancing robust protections for reproductive rights, and has built the legal capacity of women's rights advocates in more than 60 countries.
To learn more about the Center for Reproductive Rights, go to www.reproductiverights.org.
The Role: The Advocacy Adviser (Kenya) will support the start-up and implementation of a new $45M Canada (CAD) multi-country (Zambia, Uganda, and Kenya) Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (ASRHR) project. S/he will be responsible for coordinating and supporting the implementation of all aspects of the SHE SOARS project in Kenya under the guidance and support of the SeniorTechnical Adviser (GAC) and the Head of Advocacy and Communications, in order to meet the mandate of The Centre for Reproductive Rights mission.
This position will be based in Nairobia, Kenya.
- Under the guidance of the Senior Technical Advisor and Head of Advocacy and Communications be responsible for the GAC Kenya specific planning, implementation, and reporting within the SHE SOARS project.
- Ensure project learning is generated and documented and shared within SHE SOARS project in line with GLP and overall Center's reporting systems and guidelines.
- Liaise with Center's partners, SHE SOARS consortium partners and Center's program staff to ensure relevance and quality of activities.
- Ensure timely production and submission of project reports and other knowledge products in accordance with donors' requirements.
- Develop and ensure effective messages and clear positions are crafted and delivered to different audiences in line with the SHE SOARS project and Center's thematic focus.
- Represent the project at any relevant meetings within delegated authority.
- Conduct analysis on trends / issues related to ASRHR in the project areas, with a view to informing advocacy strategies and partner support.
- Develop and maintain an excellent working knowledge of current and emerging legal and policy trends relevant to the country and partner strategies.
- Support the design, implementation, and evaluation of partner advocacy strategies.
- Provide ongoing support/accompaniment to partners under the SHE SOARS project as they roll out and implement project outcomes.
- Support research initiatives that provide evidence for the delivery of project priorities
- Develop and facilitate the process of identifying programming and advocacy priorities in collaboration with the Center program teams and partners.
- Develop and roll out a capacity support plan for partners to translate advocacy priorities into concrete actions with key deliverables.
- Any other relevant duties as may be assigned from time to time.
- A first degree in relevant disciplines in social science or Degree in law from a recognized University with 5-8 years' related professional experience
- Knowledge of international human rights, women's rights and Africa regional human rights mechanism.
- Advocacy experience at the national or regional levels, including as part of NGO coalitions.
- Excellent writing, editing, research and oral advocacy skills.
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
- Ability to work and adopt to a fast-paced dynamic work environment.
- Orientation to continuous Learning.
- Orientation to detail in work requiring effective and accurate data analysis.
- Strong commitment to the Center's mission, purpose, and values.
- Very detail-oriented, with strong organizational skills;
- Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively with colleagues
- Fluency in English required;
- Excellent social and networking skills, ability to engage with diverse stakeholders.
- Strong analytical, interpersonal, presentation, and written and verbal communications skills.
- Willingness to travel to all project locations and other locations as necessary
- Strategic thinking: Applies big-picture thinking while also focusing on the details of implementation.
- Decisiveness: Consistently makes sound decisions in a timely manner supportive of the Center's mission, core values, and strategic objectives. Blends vision and judgment.
- Collaboration: Brings a track record of working effectively with various and diverse individuals and groups, and a willingness to actively listen and invite different views and opinions across all levels of the institution to build alignment in support of a common goal.
- Receives and Provides Direct Feedback: Actively gives and requests feedback to and from peers, supervisors and direct reports (if applicable) about work products, behaviors, values, style and approaches with a view on how this impacts self, other individuals and teams.
- Transparency: Consistently applies openness and honesty in communicating decisions and plans to team members.
- Commitment to learn: Applies a growth mentality to their own and their team's (if applicable) development. Promotes a culture of learning by modeling inquisitiveness and an openness to viewing mistakes as an opportunity to learn and improve.
- Passion for Coaching, and Mentoring Staff: Empowers and motivates employees and creates opportunities for learning, development, and leadership, with a focus on harnessing skills for the future development of team members. (if applicable)
- Accountability: Follows through on each commitment made to individual contributors, teams and partners and proactively informs others of any delays that occur along the way. Holds team members accountable.
- Integrity: Possesses impeccable integrity and personal and professional values that are consistent with the Center's high standards and mission.
- Empathy: Serves as an empathetic, approachable leader who engenders trust and confidence. (if applicable)
- Adaptability/Flexibility: Demonstrates comfort with ambiguity and calculated risk.
Other Legal And Company Secretarial Services jobs that you might like
Browse All in Legal And Company Secretarial Services