Digital Rights and Data Equity Specialist – 12mth Fixed Term Contract
The Digital Rights and Data Equity Specialist will sit within our Inclusive Economies Programmes team, a dynamic and growing team within the Foundation. We are looking for someone to drive and grow our digital rights and data equity portfolio and explore the impact of technology on society to establish our thought leadership in this area and help us develop our programmatic approach. This role will be based in Nairobi and will focus on work across Africa, in line with our current programmatic priorities.
We are looking for somebody entrepreneurial and strategic who has a passion for data equity, technology and digital rights and their impact on society across Africa. You will actively contribute to scoping and developing the Foundation’s programmatic activities on data privacy and data discrimination, exploring effective ways in which the organization can deploy its services to actively contribute to strengthening the data ecosystem across Africa. You will contribute to mapping the ecosystem and promoting vibrant multi-stakeholder discussions on this theme on the continent and globally. You will also scope how the Foundation’s work on data privacy and data discrimination intersects with our work on Media Freedom, another key strategic focus for the Foundation.
You will be a subject matter expert and partnership builder that can help us grow our activities and thought leadership in this area. You will have strong project management experience and the ability to work well both independently and as part of a team, with ideally a legal or policy background.
About the Role
In this opportunity as Digital Rights and Data Equity Specialist you will:
Strategy and multi-stakeholders convenings:
- Map the data and digital rights ecosystem across target countries in Africa, conducting needs assessment analysis and identifying key needs, trends and stakeholders (both local and international).
- Work closely with other TRF teams (including Programmes, Media Freedom and TrustLaw) to identify and develop strategic interventions that leverage the power of convenings, the law and the media to address issues on data equity and digital rights.
- Deliver strategic convenings with a diverse range of key stakeholders to facilitate the sharing of knowledge and best practice, and contribute to legal policy work and other interventions delivered by the Foundation and adopted by the broader stakeholder community (see example of strategic convenings: ESG Working Group or Banks Alliance).
- Coordinate the Foundation’s participation in key sector events
Project management and partnership:
- Coordinate across Foundation teams to facilitate the effective implementation of the digital rights strategy, keeping to timelines and budgets.
- Drive partnership development across Africa
In- house cross-team collaboration:
We are looking for a strategic, dynamic, and knowledgeable individual with proven experience in the following areas:
- In depth knowledge of the data equity and digital rights landscape in Africa and globally
- Extensive experience in scoping and developing opportunities and partnerships on data and digital rights
- Experience with programme design and implementation of data and digital rights initiatives in Africa
- Experience in event management and coalition building and partnership development especially with the private sector
- Project management and financial management skills, including the ability to prioritize, and to drive to achieve results on time and on budget
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills and confidence to liaise with partners at all levels of seniority
- Established regional networks with relevant stakeholders and key sector players especially in the private sector.
- Experience of working independently and as part of globally diverse and distributed team
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, including report writing and editing skills
- Strongly Preferred:
- Law degree or policy experience related to data and digital rights
- Familiarity with international development issues such as inclusive growth and inequality
What’s in it For You
At Reuters, our people are our greatest assets. Here are some of the benefits we offer for your personal and professional growth:
- Global Career: As a global company, we can offer a truly international career and progression opportunities
- Learning & Development: we have a dedicated training team focused on the continuous development of our employees
- Benefits: we offer competitive salary packages and market leading benefits
- Perks: Work alongside Pulitzer Prize-winning journalists and a team who provide unmatched, award-winning coverage of the world’s most important stories
Other Legal And Company Secretarial Services jobs that you might like
Browse All in Legal And Company Secretarial Services