The AECF (formerly the “Africa Enterprise Challenge Fund”) (www.aecfafrica.org), is a leading development finance organization that supports businesses to innovate, create jobs and leverage investments to build resilience and sustainable incomes for rural and marginalized communities in Africa.
AECF’ s goal is to bridge the investment gap between early-stage enterprise and business maturity for entrepreneurs serving the poorest communities. The AECF provides patient capital to new and innovative business models in the agribusiness and renewable energy sectors across Sub-Saharan Africa through various financing instruments, which include grants, zero-interest loans, guarantees, and working capital facilities. AECF’ s financing products are supplemented by three additional growth support services to improve the viability and sustainability of our investees, namely, (i) Advisory Services to improve investee internal capabilities (ii) Investment Support in raising commercial capital in significant volumes and (iii) Knowledge and Insights for learning and evidence gathering for policy influencing and advocacy.
AECF has successfully implemented programmes across 26 countries in Sub-Saharan Africa, supporting over 343 enterprises, raising US$ 392 million in funding for programmes, that have created 25,000 jobs and impacted 28 million lives.
We are looking for an experienced Policy and Advocacy Lead who will oversee implementation of advocacy strategies of AECF.
AECF is headquartered in Kenya with offices in Cote d’ Ivoire and Tanzania.
Reporting to Head of Programmes, REACT, the overall objective of Policy and Advocacy Manager will be to provide technical and administrative support for successful implementation and delivery of AECF policy and advocacy strategy for the Renewable Energy & Climate Technologies (REACT) in the Sub-Sahara Africa (SSA) region. Implement key policy interventions at national, regional, and global levels in collaboration with multiple industry stakeholders including (a) renewable energy associations; (b) centres of excellence in energy access themes; (c) public sector institutions and platforms and (d) consumer associations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The successful candidate brings strategic, creative, and critical thinking, embraces working independently, but also collaboratively as part of a team with a variety of departments and teams as well as partner organizations and allies.
- Lead the development of REACT Policy and advocacy strategy, objectives, and operational plans to contribute to creation of supportive policies, reform or remove unfavourable commitments in countries where AECF REACT Programmes operate.
- Lead in the development of relationships and partnerships with priority governments and partners (renewable energy associations; centres of excellence in energy access themes; public sector institutions and platforms and; consumer associations and community groups) and represent AECF in key networks ensuring that participation reflects the perspective of AECF experience in funding small and growing businesses and key policy priorities.
- Develop and lead the conceptualisation and organisation of regular national and regional networking and learning events to strengthen collaboration among enabling environment institutions and industry associations including hosting events which highlight AECF programmes and advocacy positioning, ensuring key decision makers and stakeholders are present.
- Develop briefing notes and position papers as requested for both internal and external use on key policy issues and trends and coordinate policy research initiatives as required.
Build the capacity of industry associations to engage in planning, policy, and regulations, including supporting the private sector and other stakeholder to form and operationalize.
Actively contribute to AECF being recognized as a thought leader and its staff being go-to resources in REACT by securing speaking roles, publishing communications pieces, and developing other content.
Develop and manage Policy and Advocacy budget in partnership with Programme Managers/ Leads.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Hold at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in relevant field studies is required (Political Science, Law, Communications, Economics, International relations or Social science).
- Extensive knowledge of policy and advocacy with a minimum of ten (10) years of relevant work experience on policy, advocacy, or campaigning, experience of working as part of coalitions or networks in the energy sector is an added advantage.
Excellent advocacy, consensus-building, coalition-building, and leadership skills; demonstrated ability to work collegially and collaboratively with other staff and other organizations; demonstrated ability to work with groups and individuals across a wide spectrum.
Strong networking skills and excellent collaboration traits with proven experience in building and managing effective relationships and partnerships.
Exceptional communication skills, both written and oral; ability to analyze and articulate policy concepts and other complex issues and to communicate them to a variety of audiences.
Strong policy analysis, advocacy and influencing experience including experience of organizing events.
Excellent understanding of current policy debates relating to energy access in Sub Saharan Africa and experience working in the sub-Sahara Africa region.
Excellent written and verbal English including the ability to produce clear articulate evidence-based policy analysis. Fluency in French is preferred but not required.
A proven self-starter with the capacity to think strategically, work independently and remotely, and demonstrate sound judgement and who has a proven track record in managing multiple responsibilities and meeting tight deadlines.
Experience in Research and analysis, writing briefings or reports on development or related.
The AECF is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The AECF considers all applicants based on merit without regard to race, sex, colour, national origin, religion, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
How to apply
If you believe, you can clearly demonstrate your abilities to meet the relevant criteria for the role, please submit your application quoting in the subject line the Job Title “Policy and Advocacy Lead’’– AECF/P&AM/2021.
If you believe, you can clearly demonstrate yourabilities to meet the relevant criteria for the roleregister and apply on:https://recruitment.aecfafrica.org
To be considered, your application must be received by 26th July 2021.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. For more information on AECF, please visit www.aecfafrica.org
Other Legal And Company Secretarial Services jobs that you might like
Browse All Open jobs