● An advanced university degree in mathematics, physics, engineering, computer science, statistics or a related field
● A Bachelor's degree with additional two years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
● Two years of computer programming experience in areas like statistical modelling, data analytics, data editing and processing, including at least two years of experience using the Python programming language.
● Experience with data visualization, especially web-based is desirable.
● Experience in the humanitarian or development aid sectors is desirable.
● Fluency in English is required (both oral and written). Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
- Automate extraction, cleaning and transformation of data from external file storage and APIs for upload into HDX and/or visualisation.
- Check metadata and data ingested into HDX meet accuracy, consistency and comparability requirements.
- Learn about the Humanitarian Exchange Language (HXL) and use it to improve data interoperability.
- Ensure existing and new data pipelines operate reliably, refactoring and improving them as needed.
- Work with other teams in the Centre to enhance the architecture and implementation of their data pipelines.
- Add functionality to the Centre’s Python libraries as needed including testing and documentation.
- Productionise successful prototypes integrating them into the Centre’s infrastructure in partnership with the dev team.
- Work with HDX data contributors and data consumers to identify new projects and areas of opportunities for data integration.