Kenya Marine and Fisheries Research Institute (KMFRI), a State Corporation under the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock, Fisheries and Cooperatives, State Department for Fisheries, Aquaculture and the Blue Economy was established by an Act of parliament (The Science and Technology Act Cap. 250 of the Laws of Kenya of 1979) which has since been repealed by The Science, Technology and Innovation Act No.28 of 2013.
KMFRI's mandate is to undertake research in "marine and freshwater fisheries, aquaculture, environmental and ecological studies, and marine research including chemical and physical oceanography", in order to provide scientific data and information for sustainable development of the Blue Economy. The Institute is also mandated to cooperate with other organizations and institutions of higher learning in training programmes and on matters of relevant research.
The Institute has Research Centers and Stations located at Mombasa, Kisumu, Naivasha, Baringo, Kegati, Sangoro, Sagana, Shimoni, Turkana, a research substation at Gazi and the Nairobi liaison office.
KMF/12. COXSWAIN (KMFRI GRADE 10)- POSITION -TWO (2)
- Basic Salary Scale: KShs. 41,341 – KShs. 53,744
- House Allowance: KShs. 10,000 P.M.
- Commuter Allowance: KShs. 4,000 P.M.
- Annual Leave Allowance: KShs. 4,000 P.A.
- Medical Cover & Other Allowances: As provided by KMFRI
- Terms of Service: Permanent & Pensionable
(a) The duties and responsibilities of the officer entail:
Piloting of small support boats not requiring intricate navigation skills;
Supervision of Seamen; and
Effective and efficient performance of all aspects or regulating duties.
(b) Requirements for Appointment/Person Specifications
For appointment to the position of a Seaman, a candidate must have: -
Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) with a mean grade D+ (Plus) or its equivalent;
Coxswain certificate of competency or any other relevant equivalent qualifications from a recognized institution; and
Proven experience of at least three (3) years in piloting small boats.
(c) Key Competencies and skills
a) APPLICATION PROCEDURE
Interested and qualified candidates MUST complete the KMFRI Job Application Form access via the following link:https://www.kmfri.co.ke/images/pdf/KMFRI_Application_for_Employment_Form.doc attach their testimonials, certificates, copy of their National Identification Card (ID) and Curriculum Vitae (CV).
Submit their applications both in HARD and SOFT COPY, and envelopes containing the documents should clearly be marked with the position applied for and sent to the address below not later than Wednesday, 7th July 2021.
The Director General,
Kenya Marine and Fisheries Research Institute,
P. O. Box 81651 – 80100,
Silos Road, English Point, Mkomani,
b) APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
Shortlisted candidates in compliance with the Chapter Six of the Constitution will be required to present originals of the following documents during the interviews:
1. Certificate of Good Conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations
2. Clearance/Compliance Certificate from Higher Education Loans Board (HELB)
3. Tax Compliance Certificate from Kenya Revenue Authority
4. Clearance from Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC)
5. Clearance from recognized Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
1. Only SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES will be contacted and shall be required to produce originals of their National Identity Card, academic and professional certificates and clearance certificates during the interviews.
2. Any canvassing will lead to AUTOMATIC DISQUALIFICATION.
KMFRI IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY, PERSONS LIVING WITH DISABILITY, WOMEN, YOUTH AND THOSE FROM MARGINALIZED AREAS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
Other Distribution, Logistics And Transport Services jobs that you might like