The Incumbent will report to the General Manager-Credit and will be responsible for:
• Recruiting, developing and guiding Debt Recovery and Remedial unit in reviewing all non-performing facilities and developing appropriate strategies to ensure efficient and cost effective recoveries.
• Recommending and implementing debt restructures/renegotiations where appropriate to return bad debts to performing book.
• Working with Business units and Credit Managers to promptly remediate any weaknesses identified on the portfolio to reduce events of default.
• Providing appropriate inputs to Board and Management Committees to ensure identified gaps in the lending process are addressed.
• Working with legal team to drive appropriate legal recoveries options and ensuring the due procedures are adhered inorder to avoid potential litigation risk or adverse publicity.
• For cases in court, ensuring the relevant evidence in support of the Bank’s case is properly documented and representing the Bank as a witness as and when required.
• Planning and closely coordinating the Debt Recovery process with various stakeholders, including Lawyers, evaluators and auctioneers amongst others.
• Providing periodic reports to Management and Board Committee’s on the Recovery Status of non-performing portfolio, with clear recommendations on the way forward or closure.
• Liaising with the Head of Credit and Finance to ensure provisions held against bad & doubtful debts are adequate and in compliance with the Prudential Guidelines and IFRS9 requirements.
• Providing input in loan product development and portfolio quality through regular feedback on learning points to avoid underwriting bad credits.
• Periodic training of staff on matters relating to non-performing assets.
• Keeping abreast with and proactively acting on market developments that may adversely impact on the banks success to recover loans.
Qualifications and Competencies:
• Bachelor’s degree in any business related field.
• Professional qualifications/certifications in CPA/AKIB/Loan Management etc will be an added advantage.
• Masters in a business related field such as Strategic Management, Economics, Finance, and Operations etc.
• At least 4 years’ experience at managerial level, with board reporting responsibilities.
• Thorough understanding and practice of CBK guidelines and IFRS9 requirements.
• Experience in handling complex corporate recovery cases including receiverships, arbitrations and re- negotiations.
• Legal background will be added advantage.