|Salary:||Ksh. Not mentioned|
Duties and Responsibilities:
Africare seeks a Communications Officer to support the IMPACT project in Turkana County, Kenya. S/He will report to the IMPACT project Chief of Party and deliver on all activities related to communications and dissemination, with some public relations, for the project as needed.
• Prepare or edit letters, invitations, press releases, and news reports in collaboration with Africare point of contact (POC) and donor POC. Respond to all daily general media inquiries or refer to an appropriate spokesperson.
• Develop list of key media contacts and conduct direct outreach on behalf of Africare to promote Africare’s re-entry into Kenya and the launch of the IMPACT Program and, the generous support of the funder
• Media targets to include: local newspapers, e.g. Business Daily, the Nairobian, the Standard, the Star, television and radio outlets, online news outlets, social media (?)
• Connect directly with media contacts and follow up to promote coverage of the IMPACT project.
• Identify and reach out to communications professionals in key partners/implementers in Kenya and coordinate project media outreach/social media efforts, as appropriate.
• Conduct outreach to media contacts to promote day-of coverage of IMPACT Program event(s) and launch
• Coordinate communications contacts in partner/ implementer organizations, including funder POC and communications contacts, to coordinate press activities (where appropriate) and releases, as needed.
• Track and document on-the-record quotes from potential beneficiaries and stakeholders in/of the IMPACT Program for use in dissemination materials, presentations, and to provide content for Africare online and social media platforms.
• Follow all Africare and donor communication policies and procedures which include maintaining confidentiality of proprietary information.
• Monitor media coverage and other external factors to identify potential or actual problem areas and opportunities.
• General knowledge of development and public health in Africa
• General knowledge of Global Development issues such as Nutrition, Food Security
• Ability to use Microsoft Office programs proficiently, specifically MS Excel and Word
• Minimum undergraduate degree in journalism, communications, public relations and affairs or related field. Graduates preferred.
• Over 5 years’ experience in communications work for NGOs or private sector.
• Ability to effectively research online.
• A quality track record and portfolio in written and communications (media) materials
• Excellent writing and speaking communication skills.
• Fluency in English and Kiswahili. HaTurkana a plus.
• Ability to work under time pressure and late hours with time lag to engage US based partners including Africare staff.
For more information, visit; https://www.africare.org/how-you-can-help/careers/africa/