|Category:||Banking & Micro-finance|
The aim is to achieve a more risk-informed management of Operations by reinforcing the continuum between risk identification, root-cause analysis, implementation of risk mitigation measures and response to risks.
The incumbent is engaged for a specific period of time to support operational managers in effective risk management and compliance thereby improving risk culture and integrity in the organization.
The incumbent shall review the adequacy of risk management and compliance systems, structures, procedures and capacities across the Operation. The incumbent will make recommendations as appropriate for their strengthening and assist operations management in their implementation.
The incumbent shall actively engage with internal stakeholders, including with the Bureau and Headquarters¿ Divisions, as appropriate, to ensure alignment in reforms at the country-office level with relevant efforts/reforms at the Headquarters and Regional levels.
The incumbent will be part of a network Risk Management 2.0 practitioners and will work in close collaboration with the Chief Risk Officer and the Geneva-based Enterprise Risk management (ERM) capacity to ensure coherence of approach, identify and address systemic root causes requiring a corporate-level response, the sharing of best-practice.
Keeping the Representative informed, the incumbent shall also actively engage directly with external stakeholders including relevant Government offices, implementing and operational partners, donors, contractors and refugee/host communities for the purposes of maximizing collective efforts to manage risk, strengthen compliance and maximize the quality of services provided for the benefit of refugees and other persons of concern.
The incumbent may manage relevant personnel/functions relating to compliance, quality and risk management.
Due to the temporary nature of the engagement, the incumbent shall ensure that efficiency of operations management is improved through: close collaboration with the operations management team; clarity of roles; improved skills in risk management; and full integration of risk management, compliance and quality assurance actions into core operational activities.
The incumbent reports directly to the Representative at D2 grade level, with a functional reporting line to ERM Unit.
- Systems, structures, procedures and capabilities relating to risk management, compliance and quality assurance are assessed across the entire operation and recommendations are made on how to strengthen same at country, regional and/or Headquarters/global levels.
- Agreed/endorsed recommendations referred to above are implemented in accordance with agreed milestones and budgets.
- Coordination mechanisms are established and effective between UNHCR, other UN organizations, implementing partners, operational partners, and relevant Government authorities so as to maximize collective efforts to manage risks, ensure compliance and maximize quality.
- Donors and other stakeholders in the Operation are kept abreast of efforts, achievements and obstacles in the management of risk, in ensuring compliance and in ensuring quality of results.
- Approved actions resulting from recommendations of audits, studies, reviews, management implication reports etc. are implemented within agreed timeframes.
- Provide advice and support to the Representative on risk management, compliance, and oversight matters;
- Ensure that risk management considerations are integrated into decision making, planning, monitoring, evaluation, reporting and contingency activities in the Operation;
- Promote collaboration of different functions within the office structure to address cross cutting issues;
- Conduct research and in-depth analysis of risk management, compliance, and oversight findings and recommendations. In coordination with other expertise in the region and at HQs, identify lessons learnt and root cause(s) of recurring systemic issues in the Operation that present high risks to the Organization. Prepare summary reports, with recommendations, on significant matters requiring management action or intervention;
- Support the Representative in the implementation of oversight recommendations to improve risk management, compliance and quality of outputs;
- In close consultation with the Chief Risk Officer, assess the methodology, tools and practices related to the implementation of risk management activities in the Operation to strengthen integrity and unearth root causes of risks, and propose mitigating measures with a focus on prevention;
- Represent the Operation locally in relevant internal and external task forces/meetings on risk management and oversight matters;
- In collaboration with other units at Headquarters, the IGO and LAS, prepare, review and provide input to oversight information that may need to be shared outside the Organisation.
- Work closely with internal and external oversight entities, develop and implement a system and procedures to collect relevant data and efficiently track and report specific issues, trends and cross-cutting matters representing a high risk to the Operation;
- Prepare or review and provide input to management reports to external stakeholders (including country reports and presentations to locally based UN organisations, donor countries, interagency meetings and UNHCR partners on risk management and oversight).
- Assist the Representative in formulating the Operation¿s communication strategy on risk management, compliance, quality and oversight related matters.
- With assistance from and in close coordination with the ERM, Global Learning Centre, and other Headquarter Services, as required, develop and disseminate training and communication material on risk management and compliance responsibilities in the Operation to ensure knowledge and skills gained are sustainable.
- Promote best practise in risk management, compliance, quality, and oversight within and outside the Operation.
- Provide regular updates to the Representative, the Bureaux Director, Chief Risk Officer and Inspector General.
- Have access to all persons, records, reports, and assets under the ownership or control of the UNHCR Operation required to perform his/her work.
- Make decisions on the content of reports and presentations to the Representative and HQs on lessons learnt and root causes to address systemic and recurring high risks or emerging trends in the Operation.
- Make decisions on the implementation of the tools and procedures to manage risk and management data in the Operation.
- Represent the Representative in relevant internal and external task forces/meetings within areas of the responsibility.
- Represent the Operation as required in UN meetings dealing with risk management and oversight matters.
- Decide on administrative approaches and procedures pertinent to areas of the responsibility.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Graduate degree (equivalent of a Master's) plus minimum 16 years of previous relevant work experience in progressively responsible functions. Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) plus 17 years or Doctorate degree (equivalent of a PhD) plus 15 years of previous relevant work experience may also be accepted.
- At least 8 years of experience in a senior managerial/leadership position involving, amongst other things, responsibilities relating to risk management, compliance and/or quality of results are an advantage.
- Excellent judgement with proven ability to deal with complex interrelated issues and strong analytical and problem solving skills to develop solutions that address root causes.
- Excellent communicator with strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong management skills in collaboration, team building, capacity development and with ability to deliver quality results on time.
- Exposure to and experience in UN or humanitarian field operations and emergencies in various geographical locations.
- Demonstrated high level of integrity, objectivity, impartiality and fairness.
- Fluency in English (and the UN working knowledge of the office if not English), including excellent drafting skills and capacity to communicate complex matters to a wide non-expert audience as well as to experts involved in the area of responsibility.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Good working knowledge of UNHCR's mandate, field operations, organizational structure, and policies.
- Good working knowledge of another UN language.
- Working experience in an oversight function within the UN.
- Knowledge of and working experience with Enterprise Risk Management frameworks. C001L4 - Accountability Level 4
C002L4 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 4
C003L4 - Communication Level 4
C004L4 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 4
C005L4 - Client & Result Orientation Level 4
C006L4 - Organizational Awareness Level 4
M001L4 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 4
M002L4 - Managing Performance Level 4
M006L4 - Managing Resources Level 4
M005L4 - Leadership Level 4
M003L4 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 4
M004L4 - Strategic Planning and Vision Level 4
X005L4 - Planning and Organizing Level 4
X001L4 - Analytical Thinking Level 4
X008L4 - Stakeholder Management Level 4 <p>The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.</p>
See below for this postion's Operational Context
======================================================================================================== - Experience with development and implementation of organization-wide risk management framework
- Operational experience in complex operations with direct senior management responsibilities (e.g. Assistant Representative, Deputy Representative Program/Operations roles) or internationally recognized certificate in risk management
- Experience in organizations with multi-country presence and wide operational area, preferably in the public sector or United Nations
- Experience in managing extensive partnerships and government stakeholders
- Experience in working in different geographical locations and high-risk environments
- Excellent drafting, communications and presentation skills UNHCR will continue to count on the hospitality and support extended to asylum-seekers and refugees by the Government and people of Kenya. This includes: the preservation of and access to asylum and international protection; effective reception, registration, documentation and refugee status determination (RSD); land for approximately 500,000 refugees and asylum-seekers across six camps located in Alinjugur, Dadaab, and Kakuma, and the recent additional of a settlement in Kalobeyi; strengthened police presence in camps; access to public health services for over 80,000 urban refugees and medical referrals from the camps; and integration of some 8,000 urban-based refugee children and adolescents into local learning institutions.
In 2018-2020, Kenya operation will continue to ensure strengthening of quality assurance over policy compliance, quality and risk management in the Nairobi operations with a particular focus on fraud, corruption and integrity hence the incumbent will ensure the adequacy of the systems, structures, procedures and capacities involved in compliance, policy and risk management in the Nairobi Branch Office and Sub-Offices, make recommendations as appropriate for their strengthening and lead and/or oversee the implementation of approved/agreed reforms/changes. Nairobi is a family duty station and has good medical facilities. Recreational facilities, schools and hotels are of international standards. Very good residential houses and compounds, as well as good banking facilities, unlimited access to communication means, such as internet, telephone Sim cards etc. There is no malaria in Nairobi, but cholera, malaria and yellow fever occur in other parts of Kenya. When entering the country, yellow fever card/vaccine is required. The crime rate in Nairobi is high and physical violence is a common feature of break into residences, carjacking and robbery. A high sense of vigilance and alertness is required. This position will be embedded in the operation for a specific period of time (one to two years) reporting to the Representative, helping operations management teams and leaving a strengthened capacity in place when the phased out.
We would like to draw your attention to the fact that with the progress of the initiative the duration and location of some positions may be revisited.