|Company:||United Nations Office at Nairobi|
|Salary:||Ksh. Not mentioned|
Within delegated authority the Senior Reviser will be responsible for the following duties: Responsibilities
1. Manages, supervises and monitors the performance of all staff in the Unit. Carrying out programmatic/management and administrative tasks necessary for the functioning of the Unit and Section, including evaluation of staff performance (ePAS).
2. Revises translations including those dealing with subjects of an exceptionally sensitive, complex or technical nature.
3.Translates texts of an exceptionally sensitive, complex or technical nature.
4. Directs the conduct of terminological research within the translation Unit concerned.
5.Counsels and assists revisers and translators/and editors and report writers, where applicable, at and away from Headquarters in addition to performing all or some of their functions.
6.Assists the Chief of Section in the preparation of terminology materials to meet the needs of the Unit concerned.
7.Assists the Chief of Section in the preparation of instructions.
8.Assists the Chief of Section in monitoring the quality of in-house and contractual translations.
9.Trains junior language staff.
10. Programmes daily and long-term work of the Unit.
11. Assists the Chief Section in selecting texts for United Nations competitive examinations, in marking candidates’ scripts and in evaluating results.
12. Serves as officer-in-charge in the absence of the Chief of Service/Section.
13. Performs other related duties as Chief of Unit, arranges and organises the work of a team of external translators, including quality control and performance monitoring.
- Professionalism: Ability to demonstrate excellent writing and analytical skills. Ability to maintain the highest standard of accuracy, consistency and faithfulness to the spirit, style and nuances of the original text. Knowledge of terminological and reference research techniques with ability to use all sources of information. Knowledge of a broad range of subjects dealt with by the United Nations, i.e. political, social, legal, economic, financial, administrative, scientific and technical. Ability to demonstrate the highest level of versatility, judgement and discretion, tact and negotiating skills. Familiarity with the range of issues relating to management of the Translation Services. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits inputs by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda; Supports and acts in accordance with final group decisions, even when such decisions many not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
- Leadership: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow: Empowers others to translate vision into results; Is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; Anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; Drives for change and improvements; does not accept the status quo; Shows the courage to take unpopular stands. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; Demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
- Managing performance: Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision making; Makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member; Accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills; Monitors progress against milestones and deadlines; Regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff; Encourages risk taking and supports creative initiative; Actively supports the development and career aspirations of staff; Appraises performance fairly.
A first-level degree from a university or institution of equivalent status is required. Candidates for this position must have passed the United Nations Competitive Examination for Russian-language translators.
A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in translation and revision (at least four of which should have been revision experience), of which five should have been within the United Nations. Experience in administrative functions is desirable. Ability in using the United Nations terminology databases and knowledge of software used in the United Nations is required.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, a perfect command of Russian, which must be the candidate's main language and an excellent knowledge of English and of another UN official language, as tested by the United Nations Competitive Examination for Russian language translators. Knowledge of an additional UN official language will be an asset.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include a substantive assessment which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
For more information, visit; https://careers.un.org/lbw/jobdetail.aspx?id=93091