|Company:||United Nations Office at Nairob|
|Salary:||Ksh. Not mentioned|
Under the overall supervision of the Chief, FMTS, the incumbent will perform the following duties: Responsibilities
1. Architectural/Engineering and Operations Oversight:
- Ensure that FMTS construction, maintenance and renovation works across all buildings and infrastructure comply with international/ local construction industry standards and best practice;
- Design and construction proposals are developed according to the established architectural and engineering stages/phases;
- Ensure environmental best practice, maintenance and other life cycle related efficiencies are incorporated; Work with capital construction projects teams to ensure appropriate integration of new buildings/ infrastructure into maintenance programs in timely manner, including providing inputs in appropriate materials and equipment selections.
2. Staff Management:
- Supervise staff and perform all staff-related administrative functions; Provide technical direction and contract related oversight, support and guidance to staff, consultants and contractors.
3. Financial Management and Control:
- Responsible for providing input to biennium work plans and ensuring compliance; Maintain financial control over all construction, maintenance and renovation projects/ works; Review and manage construction, maintenance and transport related payments; Liaise with Budget Section to ensure budget compliance and availability of funds.
4. Strategy and Management:
- Support the Chief, FMTS, in the development, implementation and maintenance of policies related to the physical use of UN Gigiri Complex;
- Develop and implement measurement of performance indicators;
- Provide inputs to General Assembly (GA) construction reports, strategic capital construction plans, environmental management reports, audits reports and operational biennium budgets;
- Develop and implement projects and programs; Support and provide input into improvement and upgrade of current and launch of new SAP facilities and fixed asset modules, including real estate and service delivery; Represent the Section and UNON at various advisory and/or working committees.
5. Oversight Responsibilities:
(i) Construction Coordinator/Project Manager: Supervise, co-ordinate and manage all construction, maintenance and renovation projects; Supervise, coordinate and manage recording of all building/ infrastructure assets under construction;
(ii) Oversee day-to-day activities related to the management of Buildings and Grounds: Monitor and manage performance against contract scope of works; Develop and implement maintenance schedules; Coordinate timely materials purchasing
6. Electronic Documentation:
- Set standards and oversee electronic documentation of all buildings and grounds; Manage and monitor specialist software installation, upgrades and licenses;
- Provide technical supervision and setting of standards including routine back up for construction professionals and team of draftsmen;
7. Records Management:
- Set standards and oversee implementation of records management, business continuity and archiving/ retention schedules.
8. Supervise and coordinate and manage the annual greenhouse gas inventory.
9. Perform other related duties as required.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of contracts management related issues and ability to evaluate technical proposals and works including bills of quantities, technical drawings, quality and safety standards; Knowledge of relevant and applicable UN rules and regulations and procedures related to procurement, budget, finance and staff, as well as the ability to apply these as necessary; Ability to manage staff and contractors, work-plans, budgets, and material resources and to provide strategic advice to senior management on the same. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from a clients’ point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
- Managing Performance: Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision making; Makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member; Accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills; Monitors progress against milestones and deadlines; Regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff; Encourages risk taking and supports creative initiative; Actively supports the development and career aspirations of staff; Appraises performance fairly.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Architecture, Engineering, Project Management, Business Management/ Administration or similar field is required. Additional training and or qualifications in real estate property/ facilities management is desirable. A first level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in Architecture or Engineering or experience in Project Management, Business Management/ Administration in a facilities management field , is required. . Proven track record in facilities management with an international organization or similar business operations is required. Proven track record with the coordination and management of teams of technical facilities/ operations professionals is required. Practical experience with implementation, oversight and administration of complex facilities projects, systems/ services contracts and or facilities operations and maintenance is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency in oral and written English is required. Working knowledge of another UN language is an asset.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
For more information, visit; https://careers.un.org/lbw/jobdetail.aspx?id=92765