The Social Media Producer will support the creation of compelling social media content for UNHCR’s
global channels. This role plans, develops and implements eye-catching, relevant and action-orientated
social media content strategies for daily community engagement.
The incumbent will have good political and editorial judgement, technical content production skills and keen audience awareness. They will be a strong copywriter with a creative mind, across all the latest social media trends and industry news in order to influence UNHCR’s content direction. In addition to the day-to-day, they will have an opportunity to work on thematic social media campaigns or partnerships with platforms and media partners.
Qualifications and professional experienceEducationRequired:
A first-level degree in the fields of public relations, journalism, communications, media,
international relations or related.Language
Fluency in English is required. Fluency in a second UN or other language is an asset.
Experience - Required
- Minimum two years experience creating social media content and managing large social media
accounts on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok and LinkedIn, including community
management. Experience managing large accounts for an international organization is a plus.
- Proven ability to write flawless, tight social copy on constant deadlines, and strong social copyediting skills.
- Ability to translate technical and nuanced information into clear, emotive and engaging content for broad public audiences.
- Extensive experience in process and workflows. Project management experience/qualification a
- Familiar with social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, LinkedIn,
- Experience in reporting on quantitative and qualitative social analytics and using insights –
including through external tools – to drive audience development.
- Proven news sense and understanding of what motivates younger audiences – and editorial
- Strong ability to manage multiple priorities within specified timeframes.
- Awareness of social media communication behaviours in low- and middle-income
regions/countries.Experience - Desirable
• Working on a geographically diverse team, using digital workspaces (e.g. Slack) as an active
member of a team with fast-paced work.
• Dealing with reputation issues, risk mitigation and crisis communications situations.
• Identifying trending news stories and social media conversations and implementing tactics to join.
• Understanding of digital marketing and fundraising strategies a plus.
• Experience of capacity-building and training, delivering training programmes (especially online) is
• Experience in working for the UN, UNHCR or with International NGOs or global organizations is
• Familiarity with refugees, statelessness and forced displacement issues is an asset.
• Familiarity with Canva and Adobe Creative Cloud applications, especially Photoshop and
Creative Content Creation
Support the planning, development and implementation of compelling day-to-day social media content in
English for UNHCR’s global channels. This will include content relating to international days, news and emergencies, trending topics, amplification of refugee and stateless voices, and evergreen content on thematic issues.
- Draft engaging social media copy for UNHCR’s global social media channels, including Twitter,
Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn.
- Assist in the production of visual content (including graphics and GIFs) for various platforms.
- Assist in the production of Instagram Stories, Reels and TikTok videos.
- Assist in the production of multimedia Medium pieces.
- Support the development and implementation of social content strategies to effectively reach
target audiences via UNHCR’s global social media accounts.
- Support social media strategies/plans for milestone communications efforts, campaigns and key
- Coordinate and support the development of social media packs, working together with the team’s
graphic designer, social video producers and editors, and drawing on UNHCR’s extensive photo
and media library.
- Contribute to the smooth running of the weekly content calendar for UNHCR’s global social
channels, actively coordinating with team members and using planning, project management and
scheduling tools including Trello and ContentCal.
- Monitor and respond to trends by adapting existing evergreen content or swiftly creating new
content, in order to position UNHCR as a leading voice on issues relating to its mandate, and to
reach and engage new audiences.
- Contribute to UNHCR’s refugee-led strategy to identify and amplify refugees, displaced and
stateless people on social media, including by amplifying their posts and by co-creating content
- Support high-level message and branding consistency in social media content and platforms.
- Contribute to the refining of UNHCR’s editorial style and voice on social media, working closely
- Contribute to the translation of global English social content into other languages.
- Support internal communications as required, including distribution of social media packs within
internal networks and for key partner networks (NGOs, donors, UN family etc.).
Community Management / Audience Development
Act as team focal point for community management: including social listening, monitoring and responding
to comments, analyzing audience sentiment and soliciting feedback with existing and target audiences.
- Monitor and moderate social media channels, flagging risks and opportunities to deepen
- Improve the social media team’s agility to tap into relevant media or social media moments that
relate to UNHCR's mandate.
- Coordinate with other members of the social team on carrying out community management.
- Provide community management training to communications officers and social media managers
from other UNHCR teams.
- Maintain and update the UNHCR community guidelines, troubleshoot and respond to inquiries,
and coordinate with the Digital Engagement Team on managing comments on paid ads.
- Keep track of activities of other UN agencies and non-profit partners, identifying content to be
amplified and shared on UNHCR’s platforms.
- Support the development of social media partnerships.
- Support in the production of analytics reports and provide recommendations on tactics to improve
UNHCR’s social media presence.
Monitoring and Impact of Results
- UNHCR closely tracks the performance of each social media post to identify effective messaging,
formats and strategies. Materials developed by the Social Media Producer will be measured for
impact and efficacy.
- Effective content: high-quality social content exceeds goals for engagement, views and traffic with
target audiences; content is delivered in a timely manner to allow ample time for translation,
distribution and amplification by offices and partners.
- Monitoring and evaluation: clear and strategic KPIs are established or followed; analysis is
undertaken to continuously improve the effectiveness of social media communication strategy,
marketing efforts and activities; results and reports are prepared and shared.
- Personal performance will be assessed on an ongoing basis and against the roles outlined
above, through career development goals, mid-point reviews, training, regular informal feedback,and an annual formal assessment.